travellers in 2015
years of rail travel experience
The national railway company of Germany is known as the Deutsche Bahn (DB). Germany has over 41,000 km of railway network. Train tickets for trains operating in Germany can be booked in advance. International trains connect Germany with neighbouring countries such as France and Switzerland. Book train tickets to visit main cities of Germany by train. German cities including Berlin, Munich and Leipzig are all served by trains.
Stay east for history-packed, arty Berlin and visit up-and-coming Leipzig. Stroll around Hamburg’s harbour, admire Dresden’s opera house, and capture Weimar’s classical cityscape. Head west for Cologne’s Gothic cathedral and Frank Gehry-graced Düsseldorf. Travel by train to Germany’s south to medieval Heidelberg and eclectic Munich.
Cruise the UNESCO-listed vine-clad Middle Rhine Valley or hike the Black Forest in the southwest. Explore the hilly, unspoilt countryside of the Hunsrück or travel south by train to Germany’s Upper Bavaria where fairytale castles, chocolate-box villages and the mountainous beauty of the Alps await.
Buy traditional cuckoo clocks from the Black Forest, home-bottled Mosel valley wine, Lübeck marzipan and full-flavoured beer from Franconian breweries. Indulge in designer labels from Munich’s boutiques and Düsseldorf’s Kö promenade.
Eat & Drink
Sample sauerkraut (pickled cabbage) and Berlin’s beloved currywurst (curry sausage). Regional specialities include semmelknödel (dumplings) and maultaschen (stuffed pasta pasties) in the south to sea-fresh shrimp and herring-type rollmops in the north. Prized German beers include golden Pilsener and dark Altbier.
See Germany by train by travelling with ICE and Deutsch Bahn, with a scenic ride from Cologne to historic Koblenz where the Ehrenbreitstein fortress offers spectacular views over the castes and vineyards of the Rhine Valley.
Rail Pass benefits in Germany
Private and Regional Rail Roads
- Travel free of charge on board local trains (S-Bahn trains) that connects all major German cities. Keep in mind that Berlin is an exception and that Eurail Passes are only valid on the S-Bahn tracks that connect the DB railway stations of Berlin.
- 10% discount on the Garmisch Partenkirchen - Grainau - Zugspitzplatt mountain railway route, and discount on some cable cars in the summit area.
- Discounted fare to travel on board the Berlin Night express train operating beetween Berlin and Malmo, including the ferry crossing from Sassnitz-Trelleborg. Keep in mind that reservations are required and are an additional cost.
Ferries and Cruises
- 20% discount on sailings on boats operated by the ’KD German Rhine Line’ making regular runs on the river Rhine between Köln and Mainz and on the river Mosel between Koblenz and Cochem (except on boats making cruises of several days between Basel and Rotterdam or vice versa, or between Trier and Koblenz or vice versa). An extra charge is applicable for the use of hydrofoils.
- 50% reduction on boats on Lake Constance operated by BSB, SBS and ÖBB (from May to October).
- 30% discount is offered on the offical fares on the ferry crossing from Travemünde-Helsinki operated by Finnlines. Port tax and meals are an additional cost and are paid locally.
- 20% discount is offered on the offical fares on the ferry crossing from Travemünde - Malmo operated by Finnlines. Port tax and meals are an additional cost and are paid locally.
- Various reductions on boat trips on the river Danube between Passau and Linz (Austria) or vice versa operated by Wurm & Köck.
20% discount to travel on board the Europabus. Route EB 190/190A Romantische Strasse (May to October), Romantic Road, (Frankfurt am Main-Rothenburg ob der Tauber-Augsburg-Munich/Fussen). We strongly advise that you make your seat reservations in advance by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or contacting Touring Tours & Travel by Phone: +49 69 719126 261; Fax: +49 69 719126 156.
If you have a Global Pass, you only need a seat reservation to board the international IC bus. Otherwise if you have a rail pass which is not valid in a country where the bus operates, you will need a reservation and a ticket. Routes are:
- 10% reduction for stay in Meininger hotels in Berlin, Munich, Cologne, Frankfurt, Hamburg.
- 10% reduction for stay in A&O hotels and hostels in Berlin, Hamburg, Munich and other German cities.
Free Hot Fudge Sundae when you order any main course. Free gift in Rock Shop for all purchase over € 25. Hard Rock Cafe: Berlin, Kurfürstendamm 224, Cologne, Gürzenichstr. 8, Munich, Platzl 1.