European East PassNational Passes
- Unlimited travel in Czech Republic, Slovakia, Austria and Hungary.
- Children under 4 travel for free.
5.5 milliontravellers in 2015
75+years of rail travel experience
The European East Pass is the most comprehensive pass to visit the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Austria and Hungary.
All four countries have a rich cultural and historical background. Discover Slovakia, the gateway to Eastern Europe and UNESCO World Heritage sites in the Czech Republic and Austria. Have a relaxing moment in one of the excellent thermal baths in Hungary.
The European East Pass allows you unlimited travel with the freedom to hit the tracks whenever and wherever you want! You can take as many trains as you like and there is no limit on the distance you can travel within a travel day. All of this at a fixed price.
Hop on and off trains at any time according to your desires and encounters. Just show up at the nearest train station and get ready to go and explore a new destination. (See ‘Things to know’ for more information about seat reservations).
The European East Pass is packed with bonuses to make your trip even more enjoyable. Hotel discounts, reduced museum fares and more are included in your pass.
Whether you are the adventurous traveller or the avid planner the European East Pass is your pass to freedom and the key to an unforgettable trip!
Things to know
Who can buy a rail pass?Any person living outside the participating countries can use the European East Pass.
A seat reservation is a guaranteed seat on board a train.
Seat reservations are compulsory for high speed, international and night trains. However, as you will be travelling with a rail pass, you will only have to pay for a small reservation fee, as opposed to the usual standard fare.
Seats are generally available for reservation up to 90 days prior to departure and are limited. Book early to secure your seat!
We are not currently offering online seat reservations for high speed, international and night trains covered by the BritRail passes.You can book your seat reservation directly from train stations once you are in the United Kingdom.
Most regional trains do not require a seat reservation. Just hop on board with a valid rail pass, find a seat and relax as the train takes you to one of the many destinations served.
How to use a rail pass?
Taking local and regional trains allows you to explore at will. Simply board with your rail pass and choose any open seat. Reservations are required on most high speed, overnight, scenic, and international trains. With the European East Pass you may travel on SuperCity, EuroCity, and InterCity trains which require additional seat reservations. We recommend always checking your desired journey for any specific seat reservation requirements.
Most rail passes include discounts and bonuses. Save money and make the most of your trip with your rail pass.
When available you will get hotel discounts, free entrance to museums, discounted boat trips and more.
And the European East Pass is packed with bonuses to make your trip even more enjoyable. You’ll get discounts on buses and trains, cruises & ferries, museums & activities, and more.
With the European East Pass, the benefits like the connections it provides - are everywhere. Whether you are an adventurous traveler or avid planner, the European East Pass is your pass to freedom and an unforgettable journey of discovery.
Interactive Rail Map
Use our interactive travel map to plan your trip and view the rail network of each country covered by your rail pass.
- A. You can book your ICE train up to 3 months in advance.
- A. Yes, you may travel as many times are you like between countries that are on your pass.
- A. With a Eurail Italy pass, you can travel on all trains from Trenitalia, the Italian railway company. Just bear in mind that reservation is compulsory on-board Frecciarossa, Frecciabianca, Frecciargento, and Eurostar trains. Overnight trains also require reservation of the sleeping compartments.
- A. Yes, we recomand that you would purchase tickets and make your seat reservations prior to your departure so you can avoid fully booked trains and disrupting your travel plans.
- A. To find them you only need to fill in the booking form. This is located on the home page or in the Train Tickets section. Provide us with the cities you would like to travel between and your travel date. A selection of schedules will be displayed. Select later train to see more schedules.
- A. There are no check-in or customs procedures before boarding TGV trains. However, you must be onboard at the latest 2 minutes prior to the departure time, beyond which access to the train cannot be guaranteed. Ticket control and passport checks will occur on board the train.
Q. What is Rail Europe's cancellation policy for passes, point-to-point tickets, overnight trains, and specialty trains?A. Tickets and passes are neither refundable nor replaceable if stolen or lost. Refunds, when applicable, are limited to totally unused, and un-validated passes, tickets and inclusive packages. A minimum 15% cancellation charge applies. Refund amount for tickets will vary depending on the type of fare purchased. Please check the details for more specific refund policies for each ticket. For passes and packages please look at the Terms and Conditions. Sleepers: if cancelled and space released with the station of departure at least 24 hours before train departs, are generally 85% refundable. If reservation is not cancelled, no refund will be granted. Once in Europe, most tickets must be stamped as NOT USED before the Train Departure Date (for reservations) or the 1st day of validity (for tickets and passes) to be entiteled for refund. If you have already purchased your pass or tickets, please review the terms and conditions that come with your documents for specific information about the cancellation policy for each pass or ticket. To receive your refund for pass, documents must be returned to the issuing office within 6 months of the date of issuance (or 1st year depending on the pass). To receive you refund on combined tickets and reservations, they must be returned to the issuing office within 60 days. Click here to get the adress in our Contact Us section.
- A. The AVE offers 2 first class options they are called Club class and Preferente class. Club class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. This class of service offers tables for each seat. Preferente class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
- A. The Eurail Italy Pass is the best choice if you want to spend your time exploring Italy. Eurail Italy pass is valid for one month, and the number of travel days available varies from 3 to 10 days.
- A. Most major train stations have lockers or luggage storage available at an additional cost. Make sure you have some change available if you are planning to use a locker.
answered | Posted by ROSANNA L. | Comments 2 | Created: 01/04/2016
answered | Posted by Wei M. | Comments 2 | Created: 15/01/2016
answered | Posted by Samuel K. | Comments 0 | Created: 20/10/2015
answered | Posted by SIU K. | Comments 3 | Created: 03/08/2015
We have bought european east pass, but we cannot have seat reservation for en476 (20:05) from budapest to prague on 11 july (...)We have bought European East pass, but we cannot have seat reservation for EN476 (20:05) from Budapest to Prague on 11 july 2015 (...)
answered | Posted by Sam Y. | Comments 0 | Created: 25/06/2015
Reviews & ratings European East Pass
Overall rating (19)
Overall appreciationExcellent 43% Very good 25% Average 22% Poor 5% Terrible 5%
- "European East Pass" Gautam m. 25/08/2015
The train journeys were very picturesque. The fast trains are very comfortable. We did not like: 1. The trains from Vienna to Budapest ans return 2. No direct trains from Salzburg to Prague Value for money Convenience
- "Knowledge of the pass" Trevor i. 09/02/2015
We were surprised to learn that the officials of the trams in the cities which this pass covered were unaware of the passes. We found in the W European countries that we had such a wide use of the pass where here it was limited to the inter-city trains. Value for money Convenience
- "Train" Pui Ming w. 08/02/2015
The train is on time, easy to locate. All trains are new and clean, except the one from prague to CK which is very crowded, hot and a bit dirty. Overall I enjoy traveling with the train pass which is very convenient and easy for budgeting. I will definitely consider buying train pass again in my next trip. Value for money Convenience
- "great home travel with humens" Narendra g. 29/11/2014
i travel with great comfort i met wonderful and homely , helpful and real humens comfortable trains , timings , lovely stations i wish all to use train only during our travel in east of europe Value for money Convenience
- "Lots of options!" Paola p. 28/03/2014
Travelled alone with low budget in Central Europe. Very comfortable trains and the price was worth every penny. Trains leave main stations every one or two hours so it is very easy to travel. Always leaving on time except Budapest - Bratislava (delayed due to technical problems). Other than that I always arrived to my destination as planned. Would buy the East Pass again. Enough seats and space for luggage. Value for money Convenience
- "Krakow to Praha" Man Shan l. 02/12/2013
As second-class tickets, we wouldn't ask for more. There was about 3 hours break in the mid-night and the train was keep switching tracks ! No one told us what happened... Value for money Convenience