France-Spain high speedSpain : RENFE
- Barcelona - Montpellier: 02:55
- Book up to 120 days in advance
- High Speed trains
5.5 milliontravellers in 2015
75+years of rail travel experience
France-Spain high speed
France-Spain high speed trains are ideal to visit main French and Spanish cities like Paris, Montpellier, Barcelona and Madrid.
France-Spain high speed trains are operated by the SNCF, the French national railway company, and the RENFE, the Spanish railway company. The service is provided by international high speed trains, which are modern trains offering exceptional comfort for the passengers. A first class and second class service is available when booking train tickets to travel on board the France-Spain high speed trains. Major French and Spanish cities are connected with the France-Spain high speed network. In France, cities like Paris, Montpellier, Marseille, Lyon and Toulouse are found served by the France-Spain high speed. In Spain, cities like Madrid, Barcelona and Figueres are concerned.
Popular journeys and travel durations
|Main routes||Travel time|
|Montpellier||Aix En Provence Tgv||01:16||$24|
|Nimes||Aix En Provence Tgv||00:48||$24|
|Aix En Provence Tgv||Perpignan||02:39||$64|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- France-Spain high speed tickets are open for booking 120 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat Reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
The France-Spain high speed trains serve French and Spanish cities, thus calling at numerous stations. In Paris, the train calls at the Paris Gare de Lyon and in Barcelona, it calls at the Barcelona Sants railway station.First class ticket holders have access to the VIP lounges, which can be found in all Spanish train stations, except for Figueres. Please note that ticket control will take place before boarding in Spain, and on-board from France. Make sure your train tickets are validated.
|First class||Second class|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Lounges at station in Spain Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. small>|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
|Audio system* Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>|
|Video screens* Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
*only on the Lyon-Barcelona, Marseille-Barcelona-Madrid, and Toulouse-Barcelona routes.
The France-Spain trains are ideal to discover the Alps, the Provence region, the Midi-Pyréenées as well as the capital cities of France and Spain.
From France the France-Spain high speed trains will take you to Barcelona, where you can enjoy the sun and the city’s beaches, the treasures of Art Nouveau architecture and the tasty Mediterranean cuisine. Innovative design creations are to be found everywhere in Barcelona.
From Spain, visit Paris, one of the most popular cities in the world. Its museums, its architecture, its ambience, its cuisine, its shopping opportunities, etc.
Destinations that can be reached with the France Spain High Speed include Paris, Barcelona, Lyon, Madrid, Toulouse, Marseille, Girona, Montpellier, Figueres, Carcassonne, Avignon, Perpignan, Narbonne, Valence, Nîmes, Béziers, Aix-en-Provence, Agde, Sète, Zaragoza and Tarragona.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. A travel day is any travel between 12 midnight on one day to 12 midnight of the following day (i.e. a 24-hour period). On each travel day, you can take as many trains or participating ferries as you wish.
- A. First class on the TGV Medoffers large comfortable reclining seats and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase. Second class on the TGV Med offers generous legroom and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
- A. Yes, depending on the country you are traveling in. Generally there are local trains that travel the same route as high-speed trains, however they generally take much longer to travel the same route. You will need to weigh the cost of a reservation compared with the time it will take to travel the same route. Example: Lyon to Marseille is generally about 1 hour 45 minutes on the TGV. A local train for this same route would be about 3 and half hours.
- A. Our popular Swiss Card provides 1 roundtrip by rail from any Swiss airport or border to 1 single destination. It also includes a 50% discount on all Swiss railways, lake steamers, postal buses, and excursions to mountaintops.
- A. A pass holder is a reduced fare that can be purchased in place of a ticket. It requires the use of 1 day on a rail pass and is generally required for high-speed trains.
Q. When I select the box that says I have a pass I am not receiving any schedules, but when I do not select the box that says I have a pass I receive schedules. Why can't I book a reservation with a Pass?A. The train you are requesting does not offer reservations. Please note the train time for your travel information. To board this train you will need your pass and can take any available seat.
- A. Eurostar Business Premier passengers will be offered a 3-course meal with refreshments at seat meanwhile in Standard Premier, you will get a light and cold meal with refreshments at seat. A bar buffet car with a selection of food and beverages for purchase is also available on Standard class.
- A. You can print your TGV ticket directly from your printer at home or retrieve it from the self-service machines available at the train stations before boarding your TGV train.
- A. On-board Frecciarossa trains, the official luggage allowance is two large bags or suitcases and one piece of hand luggage. It’s enough to enjoy a very long trip and explore the richness of Italy.
Q. What are the differences between a Single, Double, T2, T3, T4, and couchette on overnight trains?A. Sleeper accommodations vary according to amenities and the number of people occupying the compartment. The name or number advises how many beds are in each room. A couchette (pronounced "koo-SHET") is normally usually in 2nd Class. A couchette accommodates 6 passengers, male and female, and offers no amenities. Keep in mind that some compartments are gender specific unless the compartment is booked in full. For more information about sleepers please visit our how to book sleepers page.
answered | Posted by LiYing C. | Comments 0 | Created: 11/01/2017
answered | Posted by Francisco M. | Comments 0 | Created: 08/01/2017
answered | Posted by Karen A. | Comments 0 | Created: 08/12/2016
answered | Posted by Collette K. | Comments 0 | Created: 03/11/2016
answered | Posted by Salahud B. | Comments 0 | Created: 24/10/2016
Reviews & ratings France-Spain high speed
Overall appreciationExcellent % Very good % Average % Poor % Terrible %
- "luggages" Anthony s. 27/01/2017
we have 4 big suitcases and i had a very hard time carrying all 4 at the 2nd level. i just hope that someday, a porter can help with the luggages for 1st class passengers Value for money Convenience
- "Paris to Barcelona by TGV" Azlinda Binti a. 05/01/2017
The ride was excellent. We were on 1st class coach and it was very comforting and clean. Excellent experience. Value for money Convenience
- "Quite a good trip" Vanessa c. 10/12/2016
The train is clean and comfy. Value for money Convenience
- "Scenic Route" Catharina Adriana v. 09/12/2016
The train trip was very nice, relaxing and the scenery was beautiful. The food onboard is just a bit expensive. The comfort of the seats could be better, but definitely much better than flying and much more convenient saving a lot of time, only have to be there 30 min before. Value for money Convenience
- "Montpeller departure" Jay s. 07/11/2016
Arrived 20 minutes late in Montpellier-but trip was excellent (as usual).Travel time was 3 hours as scheduled. Value for money Convenience
- "General comment" Barry d. 01/11/2016
Excellent all round Value for money Convenience
- "Rating of France-Spain trip " . 31/10/2016
Comfortable, fast and efficient
- "To Spain by train " Paul c. 30/10/2016
this is a superb way to travel through the country. Fast efficient and comfortable. Value for money Convenience
- "Nice experience" Fernando a. 25/10/2016
The train was delay one hour and half. We were on the seats in the lower part, and the view was walls, trees, nothing to be amazed. It was not the landscape that i thought it will be. So, in my opinion, i'll not take it again. It's not bad, i expected more, maybe if you go on the first floor it's a better experience. Convenience
- "Great Experience" . 25/10/2016
Excellent Experience. Great ride. Smooth and comfortable. Only complaint: Had 4 teenagers sit next to us and play music at an elevated level. When asked to turn down they complied but only for a little while but then turned it back up. Was glad to see them get off the train at the next stop. Overall great experience and would travel again.
- "A very good train trip " Gordon s. 19/10/2016
We enjoyed the comfort, the ability to view the country side the fact that it was a beautiful day was a bonus. We were under the impression that there was a buffet car and we could buy a glass of wine but we could'nt find it. It didn't spoil the day for us but if we could have found it you would have got all excellents Value for money Convenience
- "Great service!" Andrew s. 17/10/2016
Everything was easy, from booking the tickets online at home, months before our trip, to finding our way around the stations to the right train, and our seats. One thing I would have prefered, is to be able to choose our seats when booking. When we travelled, we had been allocated rear facing seats, and I always prefer to face forwards, as I suffer with travel sickness. Value for money Convenience
- "Barcelona to Paris" Patricia g. 11/10/2016
Enjoyed to journey, however, on a 6 hour first class train journey i would have expected a better choice of food. Having travelled a few days before from Madrid to Barcelona and having received a meal, i expected on a 6 hour journey to have been able to buy something more substantial than snack food. Value for money Convenience
- "A trip back in time " Renton m. 10/10/2016
Or perhaps the future, what a relief not to get to an airport hours ahead of take off. And the view and comfort was ex. Value for money Convenience
- "good experience" Chihchun h. 06/10/2016
on time and very comfortable Value for money Convenience