French trains: IntercitésFrance : SNCF
- Book up to 90 days in advance
- Regional trains
travellers in 2015
years of rail travel experience
French trains: Intercités
Intercités trains serve more than 300 destinations in France both day and night.
Intercités are medium distance trains operating on routes which are not served by TGV, the French high speed trains. They are referred as Intercity in English. All Intercités trains are operated by SNCF, the French national railway company. Most Intercités trains operate during the day but a number of them also operate during the night, usually from 8pm to 7am. Intercités trains require seat reservation on most routes.
When travelling on board the Intercités during the night, you can opt for a reclining seat or berth. Intercity night trains have private areas for solo travellers, couples, families or friends. For women travelling alone, it is also possible to book a compartment with other female travellers.
Popular journeys and travel durations
|Main routes||Travel time|
|Paris||Rang Du Fliers||02:10||$24|
|Les Aubrais Orleans||Paris||00:57||$16|
|St Amand Montrond||Paris||02:58||$67|
|Paris||Bar Sur Aube||01:59||$34|
|Verneuil Sur Avre||Paris||01:02||$18|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- French trains: Intercités tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Print @ Station
Go to a self-service ticket machine and enter your reference to retrieve your ticket. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
All major cities and towns are served by the Intercités regional trains.
|First class||Second class|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Ergonomic seats Cosy with more legroom, ergonomic seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Private cabinIdeal for up to 3 travellers on board Intercity night trains. small>|
|4-bed cabinIdeal for a group of 4 travelling together on board Intercity night trains. small>|
|6-bed cabinsThe best way for a very comfortable ride in the company of friends or other fellow travellers on board Intercity night trains. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
- A. A consecutive-day pass provides unlimited rail travel on any day or all days for the duration of the pass. A flexipass is valid for a specific number of days within a longer period.
- A. The AVE offers 2 first class options they are called Club class and Preferente class. Club class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. This class of service offers tables for each seat. Preferente class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
- A. A Eurail Select Pass offers you unlimited travel on the national rail networks of any 3, 4 or 5 adjoining countries that are connected by train or ship. These countries are to be chosen from a list of 24 participating countries.
- A. On-board Eurostar, you are allowed two medium-sized cases (85cm at their longest length), and one piece of hand luggage per passenger. Any luggage over the allowance will be counted as excess luggage and will incur a fee. This will be arranged at the Eurostar terminal on your arrival.
- A. There is no check in or customs procedures for Italo trains. However ticket control or ID checks can occur randomly on board. Make sure to have your travel documents with you at all times.
- A. You can buy all your AVE tickets trains quickly and easily online, with no booking fee, and print them in the convenience of your home.
- A. No, travel on Eurostar requires a separate ticket. However, many rail passes include discounted rates for the Eurostar called a Passholder fare. To see a list of passes that allow these fares select "details" when viewing fares with a pass.
- A. Sleeping accommodations vary according to the train and route. The most common compartments are Singles, Doubles and Couchettes. Some offer T3, T4, and Deluxe sleepers.
- A. You will be able to book a Thalys ticket 90 days in advance.
answered | Posted by Gabriel O. | Comments 0 | Created: 23/09/2015
answered | Posted by Reena B. | Comments 0 | Created: 12/07/2015
answered | Posted by Bino P. | Comments 0 | Created: 06/07/2015
answered | Posted by Nguien N. | Comments 4 | Created: 31/01/2015
Reviews & ratings French trains: Intercités
Overall appreciationExcellent % Very good % Average % Poor % Terrible %
- "Great train ride" Lorna s. 19/10/2016
It was simple to catch and well organized at St Lazare. Trip was very pleasant on board and arrived on schedule. Train itself clean and comfortable Value for money Convenience
- "Le Havre to Paris great value" Adrian g. 01/10/2016
Best way to travel from Normandy direct to the centre of Paris, and the best value - choose first class and book early Convenience
- "Overall is good" Thing Thing l. 17/09/2016
Overall the trip was good. The train is clean and on time and comfortable. The things that can be improved as in any where else in France is the announcement in English, it would be so so much better for us tourists who doesn't understand a word of French. But I see there are sign boards with Chinese and English put up compare to 2011 when I first came, I know the authority are trying their best. Another thing would be the publication of platform, the platform for Rouen was not displayed properly, took us some time to figure out and luckily we manage to get on the train on time. Value for money Convenience
- "Difficulty of a stranger" Joseph a. 14/09/2016
Since I don't speak french I was misdirectected and so find myself in a wrong train only to realize at the end of the journey. I have to take another train back to Tours. It is part of life experience. Value for money Convenience
- "Holiday Rail Trip" Gerard c. 02/08/2016
The train was on time. The carriage and seats were clean. Unable to adjust the headrest or the seat itself in any of the three seats assigned and this caused serious discomfort for one of us. She had to sit at an angle in the seat for the entire journey. The headrest protruded too far forward for her. While not comfortable for the other two, it was manageable. This spoiled the journey as we had opted for first-class on the train. The train was delayed for approx 40 mins over the journey. Thankfully we had not planned to make a connection that day. Value for money Convenience
- "Excellent trrip" Eleni m. 31/07/2016
The trains are comfortable, on time and very convenient Value for money Convenience
- "Delay" Ivan Wirya c. 29/07/2016
This is the 2nd time we delay with this route. The 1st ime is 2 years a go with the same route. Value for money Convenience
- "Initial confusion" Pauline w. 17/07/2016
It needs to be made clear that Biarritz means Bayonne station. We arrived in good time at Biarritz station to find there was no departure listed to go to Toulouse. Slight panic! The station attendant told us to get on the next train which took us to Bayonne. We arrived 10 minutes after the departure time shown on our ticket but after half an hour wait we boarded the next train to Toulouse. Value for money Convenience
- "Damien to Paris" David c. 15/07/2016
Very good accommodation, on time, easy to arrange. Value for money Convenience
- "Comfortable easy travelling" Jane p. 29/06/2016
Trains were on time, well ventilated, good seating and adequate toilet facilities. The booking process was simple and there was no need to 'check-in'. The only difficulty we had was in knowing which carriage was which, as they didn't appear to have numbers on which related to the ticket, so we had to ask a fellow passenger. Value for money Convenience
- "Wrong info regarding serving" Mattias d. 27/06/2016
NO restaurant or serving on Board which rail Europe said it would be. We planned to have breakfast onboard. Value for money Convenience
- "Langres to Paris" Peter h. 04/06/2016
It was more comfortable than the Eurostar. Value for money Convenience
- "TRAIN RIDE FRO TROYES TO PARIS" . 23/05/2016
Had a very good experience recently on the Rail Europe. It set out on time, train was clean, comfortable and efficient. Will definitely take it again whenever I am in Europe.
- "Paris to Troyes - Bicycle Back" Everett b. 23/05/2016
I made sure I got up early enough to enjoy my morning ablution and steal a few minutes in the hotel dining room before heading off to Gard d' Est. The woman in the Info booth pointed me toward the proper platform. I entered the train with my bike and leaned it against the inside of the carriage - no problem. The trip to Troyes was uneventful. The bicycle ride back has already been added to a substantial list entitled, "Another Great Day in the Life of...." Value for money Convenience
- "Feedback on TLS-LDE-TLS" Rosette Angelica Kapunan o. 20/05/2016
Traveling the round trip for TLS-LDE-TLS was satisfactory. However, when we inquired from Information Counter, we were advised to take a taxi to the hotel on our arrival which cost about 11euros. Whereas, on our way back to the train station, we learned that there is a bus stop by the sanctuarie which only cost us 1.20euros. Value for money Convenience