- Book up to 60 days in advance
- Regional trains
travellers in 2015
years of rail travel experience
Hungarian trains are the best way to travel in Hungary.
Hungarian trains are operated by MÁV, the national railway company in Hungary. Hungarian trains operate within the country but also offer connections to neighbouring countries. The main hub for train transport in Hungary is Budapest, the capital city. Intercity, Eurocity and Euronight trains require a seat reservation.
There are different types of trains in Hungary:
Passenger trains also known as Szemelyvonat are commuter trains with a low level of modernity and with only second class available. These trains do not require a seat reservation.
Express trains also known as Gyors are local trains which also do not require a seat reservation.
InterCity trains are the fastest train operating in Hungary. A seat reservation is required, while both first and second class are available.
EuroCity/EuroNight are international trains requiring a seat reservation, and operating between Hungary and neighbouring countries.
Popular journeys and travel durations
|Main routes||Travel time|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Hungarian trains tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
The main train stations are in Budapest, the capital city of Hungary. The stations are Budapest Keleti, Budapest Nyugati and Budapest Deli.
|First class*||Second class|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
*mostly available on InterCity EuroCity and EuroNight trains.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. In some cases. Normally, your bicycle must be boxed and placed in a separate car, or it might have to be transported on a separate train. Extra charges may apply, and you must arrange bike transport locally. Bikes are allowed as checked luggage on the EC, IC, ICE, and TGV trains. The bike must be wrapped, with the wheels and pedals detached, and the handlebars parallel to the frame.
- A. You can get free (or cheap) boat trips, discounts on rail travel, free admission in museums, a 50% discount on mountain top excursions and more. You can obtain these benefits locally by showing your Swiss pass, or you can contact the specific benefit company in advance. The discount benefits apply during the validity of your Swiss pass, whereas free passage on trains, buses or ferries is only valid on travel days.
- A. Maps are provided with many multiple country passes and some single country passes. We have online maps for planning on our site.
- A. On-board Frecciarossa trains, the official luggage allowance is two large bags or suitcases and one piece of hand luggage. It’s enough to enjoy a very long trip and explore the richness of Italy.
- A. A saver pass is a discount rate for a group of 2-5 passengers traveling together at all times. All names will be printed on a single pass, therefore passengers will not be able to travel independently.
- A. AVE services offer two different classes of travel: in first class, depending on the train, you will be able to choose between First Class Club and Preferente where you can enjoy a meal served at seat, an access to VIP lounges in the main Spanish railways stations, daily press and free parking (24 hours if you have a single ticket, 48 hours for a return). Turista class, as known as 2nd class, includes a family area, children’s board games, wheelchair facilities as well as audio/video devices.
- A. Most cites with airports are easily accessible by public transportation (Train, Bus, Subway or Taxi). The following airports listed have access to the downtown train stations: Amsterdam Schiphol, Athens, Barcelona, Berlin Schoenefeld, Birmingham, Brussels National, Cologne, Copenhagen, Dresden, Duesseldorf, Frankfurt, Geneva-Cointrin, Glasgow, Graz, Hannover, Krakow, Leipzig, London Gatwick, London Heathrow, London Stanstead, Madrid, Malaga, Manchester, Munich, Milan Malpensa, Newcastle, Nice, Nuremberg, Oslo, Palermo, Paris Charles de Gaulle, Pisa, Porto, Rome Fiumicino, Southampton, Stockholm, Stuttgart , Torino, Tronheim, Valencia, Vienna , and Zurich.
- A. Gatwick Express arrives in London's Victoria Station.
Q. On Eurostar, what are the differences between the Business Premier, Leisure Select, and Standard Classes of service?A. Business Premier class is dedicated to serving the business traveler with its superior service. Business travelers can expect a nonsmoking car, fast lane check-in, use of the Executive Lounges, breakfast or a 3-course lunch or dinner with choice of entrée and wine, complimentary drink, newspapers, Wifi access in the terminal and lap top sockets on board the train. Leisure Select tickets provide complimentary food (including a 3-course dinner), beverages, and newspapers while you relax in your reclining seat. Full Fare tickets gives you access to the Eurostar Lounge. Standard Class offers comfort, convenience, and value. Enjoy the bar car, or purchase snacks and refreshments from the trolley cart when it comes to your seat.
- A. You will be offered the Print @ home ticket delivery to travel on board Italo trains in Italy. Receive your ticket reference in your inbox, print it and you are ready to travel. The Print @ home is more convenient and has no shipping fees.
answered | Posted by Yong J. | Comments 0 | Created: 10/10/2015
answered | Posted by KETAN S. | Comments 0 | Created: 18/04/2015
answered | Posted by Ravina K. | Comments 0 | Created: 17/04/2015
answered | Posted by Sarah M. | Comments 2 | Created: 18/02/2015
Reviews & ratings Hungarian trains
Overall appreciationExcellent % Very good % Average % Poor % Terrible %
No reviews for this product yet