Save $45 with code EUROPE1743 - book 3 months in advance
Save $30 with code EUROPE1727 - book 2 months in advance
Save $15 with code EUROPE1711 - book 1 month in advance
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- Regional trains
5.5 milliontravellers in 2015
75+years of rail travel experience
Hungarian trains are the best way to travel in Hungary.
Hungarian trains are operated by MÁV, the national railway company in Hungary. Hungarian trains operate within the country but also offer connections to neighbouring countries. The main hub for train transport in Hungary is Budapest, the capital city. Intercity, Eurocity and Euronight trains require a seat reservation.
There are different types of trains in Hungary:
Passenger trains also known as Szemelyvonat are commuter trains with a low level of modernity and with only second class available. These trains do not require a seat reservation.
Express trains also known as Gyors are local trains which also do not require a seat reservation.
InterCity trains are the fastest train operating in Hungary. A seat reservation is required, while both first and second class are available.
EuroCity/EuroNight are international trains requiring a seat reservation, and operating between Hungary and neighbouring countries.
Popular journeys and travel durations
|Main routes||Travel time|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Hungarian trains tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
The main train stations are in Budapest, the capital city of Hungary. The stations are Budapest Keleti, Budapest Nyugati and Budapest Deli.
|First class*||Second class|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
*mostly available on InterCity EuroCity and EuroNight trains.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. You can make reservations to travel on TGV Lyria trains up to 3 months before your travel date. To take advantage of the best fares, always try to buy your ticket as early as possible. And when buying your TGV Lyria tickets, check what exchange and refund conditions apply. Your fare type will be clearly stated on your ticket.
- A. Special amenities for disabled travelers are offered on trains and at many train stations, and are clearly indicated with pictograms (for telephones, toilets, elevators, etc.). Special equipment is also available for use by handicapped passengers. This equipment must be reserved locally in advance. Be sure to specify if you need personal assistance (whether with a wheelchair, boarding, etc.).
- A. Austria, Benelux (includes Belgium, Luxembourg, Holland), Bulgaria/Serbia/Montenegro, Czech Republic, Croatia/Slovenia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Norway, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.
- A. Many people take advantage of additional time they have in a city, then they board their overnight train. You depart from one city and arrive in your destination the next morning, refreshed and ready to start your day. It also saves you money that you may have spent on a hotel.
- A. You will need to first figure out who wants to share, and who does not. Once you have your travel party broken down, request the number of passengers who want to share a room together and request as either a 1, 2 or 3 person room. Request each compartment separately until all passengers have been reserved in a room.
- A. Like most high-speed trains in Europe, you need to make a booking when travelling with Thalys. Passholders with passes covering the whole Thalys route (Eurail Global Pass, Eurail Select Pass including France, Benelux or Germany, depending on the route, Eurail and Benelux-France) benefit from special Passholder fares. Just bear in mind that some passes covering partially the Thalys sector like France Rail Pass but also Eurail passes including Benelux-France / France-Germany / France-Italy / France-Spain / France-Switzerland / Benelux also offer special Passholder deals. German Rail Pass is not valid on Thalys routes to Germany.
- A. Eurostar is a reservation-only service and bookings can be taken up to 6 months in advance. Also bear in mind that Eurostar is not included in the Eurail pass or France Rail Pass program but you can still get a discount on Eurostar when buying a pass.
- A. Your payment details will be encoded and sent using a secure connection. You can check the security details by clicking with your right mouse button on the payment page and then selecting ‘Properties’. A window will pop up containing all connection data. The ‘Connection’ field shows that an SSL connection is used. Your credit card information, including the number and expiration date, will not be stored.
- A. Many passes offer travel days that are flexible. The 4 days of travel allow the traveler to choose the days that they want to travel in a 2 month time period. Example: If a pass is valid from July 1 to August 31. The traveler can then select 4 dates to travel on the train from July 1 to August 31. The days can be consecutive or non consecutive.
- A. You can use your Eurail Select pass on the national rail networks of the adjoining countries chosen when buying your Eurail Pass. Here is the list of the countries participating to the program: Austria, Benelux, Bulgaria, Croatia-Slovenia, Czech Republic Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Montenegro-Serbia, Norway, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland.
answered | Posted by Yong J. | Comments 0 | Created: 10/10/2015
answered | Posted by KETAN S. | Comments 0 | Created: 18/04/2015
answered | Posted by Ravina K. | Comments 0 | Created: 17/04/2015
answered | Posted by Sarah M. | Comments 2 | Created: 18/02/2015
Reviews & ratings Hungarian trains
Overall appreciationExcellent % Very good % Average % Poor % Terrible %
No reviews for this product yet