Why choose us?
900,000 travellers in 2012
N° 1 distributor of train tickets.
Helpful travel experts
Our dedicated staff at your service.
All of Europe, one place to buy your tickets!
Rail Europe Travel+
Free coupons, train travel guide and more.
Member of Trusted Commerce program.
Need assistance planning ?
Review and ratings (564)
Experience comfort and style, upgrade to 1st class!
Find a point to point ticket
ICE stands for Inter City Express – the high speed passenger trains operated by Deutsche Bahn, (DB) the Germany state railway company. The ultra-modern ICE trains are amongst the most technologically advanced and comfortable trains in Europe. They travel at up to 300 km ph.
ICE trains offer International connections include Switzerland, Austria and the Netherlands. Within Germany, frequent ICE trains connect Germany’s major cities, such as Cologne, Hanover, Berlin, Munich and Stuttgart.
ICE trains offer not only high speed train comfort, some also use tilting technology to maintain speed on bends. On these trains, you’ll find a viewing gallery behind the driver’s compartment, meaning you can experience every twist and turn with a bird’s eye view.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Within Germany, ICE trains connect 32 major cities. Example travel times are given below:
|Zurich – Stuttgart||2h 42|
|Frankfurt – Munich||3h 10|
|Frankfurt – Hamburg||3h 36|
|Cologne – Berlin||4h 16|
In addition, ICE trains connect Germany with France, Switzerland, Austria, Belgium and the Netherlands, amongst others.
Amsterdam Frankfurt 03:46 $201 Frankfurt Berlin 03:25 $227 Frankfurt Brussels 02:58 $194 Frankfurt Munich 03:14 $187 Vienna Frankfurt 06:44 $259 Amsterdam Basel 06:43 $306 Amsterdam Cologne 02:38 $124 Frankfurt Cologne 00:55 $124 Cologne Berlin 04:07 $203 Cologne Brussels 01:44 $101 Frankfurt Stuttgart 01:14 $110 Stuttgart Berlin 04:47 $228 Innsbruck Munich 01:46 $63 Stuttgart Munich 02:06 $115 Berlin Hamburg 01:35 $147 Amsterdam Dusseldorf 02:12 $115
Whilst onboard ICE train, it’s possible to pre-book porters or taxis to meet you on arrival.
Booking & Ticket deliveryBooking :
- ICE tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Ticket delivery option(s) :
|Paper ticket||Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.|
Seat reservation :
- Recommended for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket when offered by the train carrier.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Before you board
- ICE trains First Class ticket holders can use the DB lounges in Berlin, Hamburg and Munich, where they will enjoy newspapers and magazines, free drinks and internet access.
|First class||Second class|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>||√||√|
|Audio system Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>||√||√|
|DB lounges at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. DB lounges are in Berlin, Hamburg and Munich. small>||√|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>||√|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>||√|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>||√|
|Quiet zones Be seated comfortably and without any disturbance in reserved quiet zones. small>||√|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>||√|
|Snacks and beverages Whenever you feel peckish, you can buy something on board to eat or drink. small>||√|
See train travel from an entirely new point of view!
- Aboard the latest generation of ICE trains (ICE 3, ICE T and ICE TD) you will benefit from a panoramic lounge at the end of the train: discover the countryside from another perspective and in style and comfort. ICE high-speed trains will help you have a completely different travel experience!
Music, video and news
- Whether you are in 1st or 2nd class, the ICE trains offer an audio connection integrated into the seats. You can choose between three radio stations, the children’s channel and ICE musical programmes. Upgrade to 1st class! Some first class coaches aboard ICE trains feature individual video screens at your seat.
Eat at anytime of the day, you are on holidays!
- Aboard all ICE trains you will find a Bordbistro and/or Bordrestaurant. For breakfast, lunch or dinner, the Bordrestaurant gives you the choice between different set menus or “à la carte” main dishes, consisting of German and European specialities. The Bordbistro serves snacks and a wide selection of beverages to be consumed at your seat or in the Bordbistro. In ICE trains 1st class coaches you can benefit from an “at your seat” service for a selection of beverages and meals from the menus.
Interactive travel map
Review and ratings
Overall rating (564)
Overall appreciationExcellent 41% Very good 32% Average 18% Poor 6% Terrible 4%
"Terrible" Youry b.
the train I paid for (ICE 691) did not come. I went to the Info booth where they could not explain me why it did not come and sent me to a different track for a different train. that train was late and overwhelmed with people. the journey took 3h 50min and I had to stand during the whole ride (but I had a reserved seat on the train that did not come!). eventually I was late for 1h 40min. Value for money Convenience
"pleasant journey"Silvia s. 21/05/2013
We were really happy with this trip - we had comfortable seats, the staff was friendly and helpful, we arrived on time, we had enough space for our luggage, everything was ok. Value for money Convenience
"ICE100"Kelvin t. 21/05/2013
Annoucement of platform change is not clear. Value for money Convenience
"Amsterdam for tulips"Kelvin t. 20/05/2013
***** Excellent for comfort . value for money and convenience. Travelling with family from Koln to Amsterdam under 3 hrs with the train going at a speed of 250km/hr was an enjoyable experience. Enjoyed the coffee from the Bistro as well.
"First class booking"Kelvin t. 10/05/2013
It was not possible to reserve a seat through Raileurope, but there were reserved seats. Finally found a compartment and it was comfortable.
"Day train Amsterdam to Basle"Josephine m. 02/05/2013
Good to receive tickets in Australia very quickly. Was disappointed that issued seats had no window..so we moved ourselves to unreserved seats. Closest toilet became very wet and messy early into trip..perhaps staff check would help. Value for money Convenience
"RAIL TRIP". 01/04/2013
Recently took a train trip from Amsterdam to Dusseldorf and back on ICE. The timing was excellent and the train ride was fantastic. I managed to see some of the landscape of both Amsterdam and Gerrmany while on the train and the ride was very smooth. This is similar to fast train ride experience in Japan and maybe a notch better.Thanks to Rail Europe and ICE for ensuring a pleasant journey Comfort Value for money Convenience
"Convenient"Jacoline n. 19/03/2013
Enjoyed the trip thoroughly - easy to book and very affordable - great to see the countryside Comfort Value for money Convenience
"A comfortable trip"Donald g. 18/03/2013
The train departed on time but was a few minutes late on arrival which made the connection to the next train rushed. Comfort Value for money Convenience
"Our 2012 trip "Theresa p. 15/03/2013
My response is months overdue but I would like to mention that the ICE train trips are always a wonderful experience. The train is clean, fast and always on time. We will certainly make use of the ICE train for our future visits to Europe. Comfort Value for money Convenience
"Comfortable journey"Lynette Claire v. 26/02/2013
Very good train service, punctual, clean, good value for money Comfort Value for money Convenience
"Europe 2012-1"John k. 06/01/2013
Ease of booking, punctuality, cleanliness, on board service, comfort all very good. For intenational tourists with other than relatively small bags, lack of luggage space on this particular train could have been a problem. Other trains we used had good luggage space, in various places! Comfort Value for money Convenience
"Great Trip"Andrew b. 04/11/2012
This was my first time travelling from Prague to Dresden by train and whilst I was looking forward to it, it far exceeded my expectations. As always the train service in this part of the world is excellent - but the scenery as the train winds its way along the river is fantastic. I would recommend this to anyone. Comfort Value for money Convenience
"good"Andrew b. 03/11/2012
i like it.. very comfortable