Italian trains: Intercity
- Book up to 90 days in advance
- Regional trains
5.5 milliontravellers in 2015
75+years of rail travel experience
Italian trains: Intercity
Italian Intercity trains
Intercity trains in Italy are comfortable and offer a quick way to travel between all major cities and towns. They stop more regularly on their route as opposed to high speed trains in Italy. Intercity trains which operate during the night are called Intercity Notte. All Intercity trains in Italy are operated by Trenitalia, the national railway company.
Popular journeys and travel durations
|Main routes||Travel time|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Italian trains: Intercity tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat Reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
In Venice, Intercity trains call at the Venezia Mestre railway station.
|First class||Second class|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
- A. You can use your Eurail Italy pass throughout the entire Italian railway network. Eurail Italy pass holders are also entitled to several discounts and benefits on ferry crossings and more. For 1st class pass holders, transfers between Roma Fiumicino Airport and Roma Termini train station on the Leonardo Express and between Pisa airport and Florence central station are free.
- A. On-board Frecciarossa trains, the official luggage allowance is two large bags or suitcases and one piece of hand luggage. It’s enough to enjoy a very long trip and explore the richness of Italy.
- A.Refund policies for tickets will vary depending on the type of train and fare that are booked. Please check the "details" tab of each fare to obtain specific refund information for the fare you are purchasing.If you have already purchased your tickets, please review the terms and conditions that came with your documents. Except for PayPal, for which the amount can be reimbursed automatically on the PayPal account. For all the other payment services, a BIC (Bank Identifier Code) must be sent to receive the reimbursement of your purchase.
- A. In some cases. Normally, your bicycle must be boxed and placed in a separate car, or it might have to be transported on a separate train. Extra charges may apply, and you must arrange bike transport locally. Bikes are allowed as checked luggage on the EC, IC, ICE, and TGV trains. The bike must be wrapped, with the wheels and pedals detached, and the handlebars parallel to the frame.
- A. - Business class offers the highest class of service in trains. It will include 1st seats, meals , access to lounges, and no restrictions on being exchanged. Flexi First class offers on day train 1st class seat , and are the most exchangeable. Night trains will offer first class couchette (shared sleeping) or sleepers and are exchangeable. Meal service may be available for purchase. Best Price First class day trains will also offer 1st class seats with lowest ticket prices that may have restrictions. Meal service may be available for purchase. Night trains will offer first class couchette or sleepers and lowest ticket prices that may have restrictions. Flexi Second day trains will offer 2nd class seats that are exchangeable. Night trains offer lower comfort couchette (shared sleeping) or sleepers and are exchangeable. Best Price Second day trains will offer 2nd class seats with lowest ticket prices that may have restrictions. Night trains offer lower comfort couchette (shared sleeping) or sleepers with lowest ticket prices that may have restrictions. Super Saver class is available on night train only and will offer reclingin seats with with lowest ticket prices that may have restrictions.
- A. From Germany, several cities in bordering countries can be reached. The Intercity Express (ICE) goes to Brussels, the DB Expressbus to Prague, the DB-ÖBB Eurocity to Kufstein and Innsbruck and the DB-ÖBB Eurocity to Bolzzano/Bozen, Verona, Bologna and Venice.
Q. What are the differences between a Single, Double, T2, T3, T4, and couchette on overnight trains?A. Sleeper accommodations vary according to amenities and the number of people occupying the compartment. The name or number advises how many beds are in each room. A couchette (pronounced "koo-SHET") is normally usually in 2nd Class. A couchette accommodates 6 passengers, male and female, and offers no amenities. Keep in mind that some compartments are gender specific unless the compartment is booked in full. For more information about sleepers please visit our how to book sleepers page.
- A. Not presently but as soon as European railways introduce e-tickets, we will be able to offer them.
- A. Train stations in Europe are very traveler friendly. Once arriving to the station there are large Departure and Arrival Boards located in the center of the most stations. Match the train number and departure time on your reservation / ticket to the train number listed on the departure board. Once you have found your train on the Departure Board, you will find a platform number where your train will be departing from. Upon arriving to your platform you will notice that each car (also known as a coach) number on the train is clearly indicated on the side of each coach. Check your reservation / ticket for your car/coach number. You notice the class of service will also be listed in addition to the car/coach number on the side of the train. Once onboard the train, you will find that similar to an airplane each seat is clearly labeled with a number. Match the seat number on your reservation / ticket number to seat number in the train car / coach. Train stations in Europe have international pictograms that are easy to understand and are used in international airports. These pictograms will assist you once you arrive to the station. If you still have difficulty in finding your train, the stations staff can always help point you in the right direction.
- A. The pass can be purchased up to 6 months before your first travel day. The pass must be validated within 6 months of the original date of issue.
answered | Posted by SADAN K. | Comments 0 | Created: 16/10/2015
'print@home' does these tickets need to be validated on the respective stations? trenitalia does not recognize the booking id and (...)I have booked my tickets on raileurope,in (paris-venice-rome-milan) and i have printed the print@home tickets for my journey in (...)
answered | Posted by ABBASALI H. | Comments 0 | Created: 07/10/2015
I want to travel from paris to cover mt. titlis, bernina express, venice and rome from 17-27 october 2015I want to travel from paris to engelberg to visit Mt. Titlis on 20 Oct 2015, engelberg to chur on 22 Oct to catch Bernina express (...)
answered | Posted by Harish K. | Comments 2 | Created: 13/09/2015
answered | Posted by Alison P. | Comments 0 | Created: 03/09/2015
answered | Posted by esha a. | Comments 4 | Created: 06/08/2015
Reviews & ratings Italian trains: Intercity
Overall appreciationExcellent % Very good % Average % Poor % Terrible %
- "Missed our stop" Consuelo m. 06/11/2016
The announcement audio on bored was not clear and was only said in Italian. The station signage was not visible at night. As such we missed our stop and have to take another train back. The ground crew was very helpful in getting us back to Assissi. Value for money Convenience
- "Leg 4 of my mini adventure" Norrie b. 10/09/2016
A journey on my own made so easy and comfortable, but hot. Great ticket system and station signage made it all very easy, and such a beautifully scenic journey. Quick change of trains but all to time so fine Value for money Convenience
- "Not cool" Inger Hanne v. 15/08/2016
The train we were suppose to take had some issues (not sure what) so we got another train. This train was full of graffiti, no air-condition, crowded and uncomfortable. This was the first of two trains we were taking from Genova to Nice. Not a good start, and not at all what we were all excited about. Value for money Convenience
- "Easy and convenient " Ashita m. 01/08/2016
Please remember to validate the tickets at the station before boarding the train as it was our first term so the TT was kind else one can invite 60 euro fine . Value for money Convenience
- "Good" Maria j. 21/06/2016
It was a good trip Value for money Convenience
- "Good" Maria j. 21/06/2016
Good trip Value for money Convenience
- "It’s convenient and fast" Wai Shing s. 24/05/2016
It starts on time and arrives on time. The facilitiy on the train in comfortable. Value for money Convenience
- "Amazing !!" Sameer s. 06/12/2015
The train was very comfortable and my Family has really enjoyed this wonderful and amazing journey... Value for money Convenience
- "Pictorial Trip" Nilotpal b. 11/11/2015
I along with my family on 1st November traveled from Rome to Pisa, We tok the morning train and reached Pisa on time. The journey was comfortable, pictorial, smooth and punctual. The staff on board was good Value for money Convenience
- "Florence to Pisa" . 01/11/2015
Very quick trip on the fast train. Comfortable journey, good value for money. Did not like having to pay $20 to receive tickets in the post, would have preferred to print off at home.
- "We loved Italian trains and It" Susan r. 30/09/2015
The train accommodation was clean and well maintained. The staff were friendly and courteous. We wish the U.S. Had service so good. Value for money Convenience
- "Rome to Pisa" Titus s. 27/07/2015
our particular train was not very crowded o we were able to use the seats next to us for extra space. The view on the trip was stunning! Had great time and got some awesome pictures. Value for money Convenience
- "Good" Mei Ching l. 19/06/2015
Good in all. Worth it. Value for money Convenience
- "Great time " Chingwei f. 27/05/2015
Convenient, also conect other train very well, easy to buy, easy to found, sweet Value for money Convenience
- "Beautiful sights" Sofia f. 27/05/2015
Travelling in intercity is wonderful. You feel like you are in a movie and you really can enjoy sights, and what a beautiful sights. Value for money Convenience