Railjet - Austria and beyond
- Budapest - Vienna: 02:36
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- High Speed trains
travellers in 2015
years of rail travel experience
Railjet - Austria and beyond
Railjet, modern Austrian high speed trains linking major cities of Austria, Germany and Hungary.
The modern, perhaps even futuristic Railjet trains are the new high-speed service from the Austrian Federal Railways (ÖBB). They operate at speeds of up to 230 km/h (143mph). The Railjet trains have carriages which as comfortable as luxurious. With modern equipment and generous compartment space, the Railjet guarantees a unique travel experience. The Railjet train snakes through the splendid Bavarian countryside as you approach the Alps. It winds by rivers and past farmland and wind turbines, offering truly breathtaking scenery throughout Austria.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations include Budapest, Vienna, Munich, Salzburg and Zurich, here’s an idea of the durations.
|Salzburg – Vienna||2h 45|
|Budapest – Vienna||3h|
|Munich – Budapest||6h 30|
|Vienna – Zurich||8h|
|Zurich||St Anton Am Arlberg||02:19||$86|
|Langen Am Arlberg||Zurich||02:12||$81|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Railjet - Austria and beyond tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Seat reservation :
- Recommended for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket when offered by the train carrier. With the included reservation, you are guaranteed a seat to make your journey more enjoyable.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
A large range of services are available in stations including taxis, car rental, luggage storage facilities, shops, tourist information and assistance with your ongoing journey. 1st class passengers can use the Club Lounge at Vienna station to relax before departure.
|First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||First||Economy|
|Passenger Information System Real time information about arrival times and connections. small>|
|Restaurant car Drinks, snacks and delicious meals, to make the most of your trip. small>|
|Kid’s facilities Children cinema are certain to keep younger ones happy. small>|
|Snacks and beverages Whenever you feel peckish, you can buy something on board to eat or drink. small>|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Refresher towel Great way to cleanse, recharge and revitalize. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
|WiFi Internet Enjoy the freedom to read your emails, surf and listen to online music thanks to the wireless internet on board. small>|
|Newspapers and magazines Grab your free international/local newspaper or magazine and enjoy the ride. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
Q. There is also a train connection from Munich to Prague, can I use these trains to travel to Prague with the coupon?A. No, the German Rail Pass Extension is only valid on the DB Expressbus between Munich/Nuremberg and Prague.
- A. Eurostar Direct Services can connect you directly from London to Paris, but also Brussels, Lille, Disneyland Paris and on a seasonal basis to Avignon in summer and to the French Alps during winter with a single weekly connection.
- A. Eurostar services offer three classes of service: 2 for first class (Business Premier and Standard Premier) and one for second class (Standard). Among the facilities offered for Eurostar Business Premier passengers, you’ll find priority express check-in in 10 minutes at the terminals, a dedicated ticket desk for check-in, access to the Eurostar Executive lounges, spacious reclining seats with generous legroom, Wi-Fi access at the terminals, a dedicated coach for business travellers, complimentary newspapers, and also a 3 course meal served at seat. Eurostar Standard Premier passengers, whose check-in is 30 minutes before departure, will be offered spacious reclining seats with generous legroom, complimentary newspapers and a cold meal served at seat. In the convenience of a comfortable carriage, Standard passengers will also be enjoying themselves with a vast variety of dishes they will find at a bar buffet car.
- A. A rail day lasts from midnight to midnight. You can take as many trains as you wish during this time.
- A. You will be able to book a Thalys ticket 90 days in advance.
- A. You can book early a ticket for Italo up to 70 days in advance. The earlier you book, the more likely you will get the lowest price. Italo tickets are can be book up to 3 days before your travel date.
- A. Yes, depending on the country you are traveling in. Generally there are local trains that travel the same route as high-speed trains, however they generally take much longer to travel the same route. You will need to weigh the cost of a reservation compared with the time it will take to travel the same route. Example: Lyon to Marseille is generally about 1 hour 45 minutes on the TGV. A local train for this same route would be about 3 and half hours.
- A. Dining cars are available on most long distance trains. Normally, you can just walk into most dining cars, sit down, and eat without a reservation, but you are welcome to make a reservation for a meal when mealtime is busy, or when the train attendant announces the opening of the dining car. If your train does not have a dining car, it is likely to offer passengers a buffet bar car. On local trains, there may be an attendant with a snack cart who travels from car to car, selling snacks and beverages. Train Dining cars are part of the train experience and is unrivaled by any other means of transportation. In some trains the quality of the food and the wine is up to the standard of a gourmet restaurant.
- A. If you board a direct overnight train that departs after 7:00pm, then you use only 1 day on your pass. However, when marking the day of use for that train, be sure to mark the next day's date. If your overnight train requires a train change before midnight, then you will use 2 travel days.
- A. Located in the middle of the train (carriage 4 or 14), TGV Lyria bar provides a service for tasty snacks and meals: sandwiches, hot/cold local dishes, salads, children’s menu, hot and cold drinks, treats are available to eat at the bar or take away. In First class, you can also enjoy the convenience of Lyriapremière service at seat.
answered | Posted by Tatev S. | Comments 0 | Created: 17/11/2016
answered | Posted by Ling n. | Comments 0 | Created: 05/11/2016
answered | Posted by Jaideep P. | Comments 0 | Created: 27/09/2016
answered | Posted by Amr A. | Comments 0 | Created: 18/09/2016
answered | Posted by prateek s. | Comments 0 | Created: 16/09/2016
Reviews & ratings Railjet - Austria and beyond
Overall rating (65)
Overall appreciationExcellent 32% Very good 37% Average 20% Poor 5% Terrible 5%
- "Straightforward trip" Sharnjit g. 25/11/2016
The tickets came on time although you may wish to consider online tickets :) The train was fairly easy to find. It was a busy service but fairly comfortable. The wifi was terrible and it stopped at one station for so long, I think I could have walked the entire length of the train a few times! Value for money Convenience
- "Fantastic" William d. 15/11/2016
The only way to travel in Europe, no security checks, no arriving two hours before departing, comfortable seats, fantastic service. Fares were very reasonable for first class travel. We wish it was that easy to travel in Canada. Value for money Convenience
- "Best way to travel in Europe" Donald m. 26/10/2016
Train carraige clean and comfortable, Quality of food and service very good. Most important it runs on time to schedule. Value for money Convenience
- "Budapest- Vienna trip review" Chintan k. 26/10/2016
all in all a very enjoyable experience. Value for money Convenience
- "Business trip" Choo t. 06/10/2016
A very quiet and comfortable ride, beautiful scenery along the way. The seating are well organised. Seats are clean and seat no is easy to find. Very pleasant ambient. Value for money Convenience
- "Europe trip" Gary n. 27/09/2016
The biggest difficulty was with luggage. My wife said she traveled first class on another carrier and though this was comfortable, it didn't seem so first class. Seemed more like comfortable business class. Value for money Convenience
- "Amazing service" Haris k. 24/09/2016
I travelled from Zurich to salzburg. It was amazing conveniance as well as comfort. Scenery was great as well. However I used first class train that should have been more spacious and reclining seats should have been with leg cusioning as well Value for money Convenience
- "Convenient,clean and reliable" Balachandran p. 22/09/2016
This trip of about 2 hours Value for money Convenience
- "The better option for tourists" Balachandran p. 22/09/2016
The train service was very comfortable, clean and with excellent service for breakfast served at one's seat in the first class coach.Picture windows afford a wonderful view of the passing countryside while free wifi keeps you connected to the world ! would definitely recommend this is an option. Value for money Convenience
- "Comfortable " Anil Kumar j. 19/09/2016
Had a wonderful experience Value for money Convenience
- "Vienna_salzburg" . 17/09/2016
No issues. Train very nice. Spacious seating. On time
- "Convenient. Trouble boarding. " Ashlee c. 29/08/2016
My cousin and I arrived at the platform about 20 minutes prior to departure. We reserved our seats when we purchased our tickets, which I recommend! Boarding was very difficult. There are no rail attendants or cart attendants so tourists are helping one another figure out what to do. The carts are not noticeably marked but luckily, we boarded the cart our reserved seats were on. Many people have luggage and there isn't much space so people were literally pushed up against one another, in the walkways etc. trying to find their seats and a place for luggage. After about 15 or so minutes of craziness, everyone had a seat and it was calm. Value for money Convenience
- "comfortable scenic travel" George t. 21/08/2016
Would help to have information with the tickets re: availability of restaurant car for each leg (there was none on the 2nd leg) exact location of the initial train station The change of trains at Villach was very short. So, as it was between separate platforms, it was not friendly to the old or less mobile. Also, the information given by loud speaker on the train was no easy to understand, and no immediate information was given on the arrival platform that was easy to access for those not used to the local signs and systems. Value for money Convenience
- "Pleasant journey all round" Joseph f. 12/08/2016
Travelled first class which certainly looked a lot more comfortable than second class. Table service was sometimes difficult to get hold off but the 'happy hour' menu initiative did make it feel much more affordable and privileged based on seats. On the value for money side, we had to choose flexible ticket via Rail Europe as the OBB website with non-flexible offerings wasn't working at payment stage. Could have saved a lot by buying direct if this wasn't the case as we didn't need the flexibility offered. Take things to do on this journey - the 4 hours is longer than you'd like to think with not much scenery to enjoy. No border control anywhere on the trip so you can keep passport safe without fear. Value for money Convenience
- "Clean and Easy" Pek Wan c. 31/07/2016
Clean and Easy. However, Rail jet did not give us 1 4 seats, it would have been better. Value for money Convenience