Railjet - Austria and beyond
Save $45 with code EUROPE1743 - book 3 months in advance
Save $30 with code EUROPE1727 - book 2 months in advance
Save $15 with code EUROPE1711 - book 1 month in advance
- Budapest - Vienna: 02:36
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- High Speed trains
5.5 milliontravellers in 2015
75+years of rail travel experience
Railjet - Austria and beyond
Railjet, modern Austrian high speed trains linking major cities of Austria, Germany and Hungary.
The modern, perhaps even futuristic Railjet trains are the new high-speed service from the Austrian Federal Railways (ÖBB). They operate at speeds of up to 230 km/h (143mph). The Railjet trains have carriages which as comfortable as luxurious. With modern equipment and generous compartment space, the Railjet guarantees a unique travel experience. The Railjet train snakes through the splendid Bavarian countryside as you approach the Alps. It winds by rivers and past farmland and wind turbines, offering truly breathtaking scenery throughout Austria.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations include Budapest, Vienna, Munich, Salzburg and Zurich, here’s an idea of the durations.
|Salzburg – Vienna||2h 45|
|Budapest – Vienna||3h|
|Munich – Budapest||6h 30|
|Vienna – Zurich||8h|
|Langen Am Arlberg||Zurich||02:12||$81|
|St Anton Am Arlberg||Zurich||02:22||$86|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Railjet - Austria and beyond tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Seat reservation :
- Recommended for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket when offered by the train carrier. With the included reservation, you are guaranteed a seat to make your journey more enjoyable.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
A large range of services are available in stations including taxis, car rental, luggage storage facilities, shops, tourist information and assistance with your ongoing journey. 1st class passengers can use the Club Lounge at Vienna station to relax before departure.
|First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||First||Economy|
|Passenger Information System Real time information about arrival times and connections. small>|
|Restaurant car Drinks, snacks and delicious meals, to make the most of your trip. small>|
|Kid’s facilities Children cinema are certain to keep younger ones happy. small>|
|Snacks and beverages Whenever you feel peckish, you can buy something on board to eat or drink. small>|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Refresher towel Great way to cleanse, recharge and revitalize. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
|WiFi Internet Enjoy the freedom to read your emails, surf and listen to online music thanks to the wireless internet on board. small>|
|Newspapers and magazines Grab your free international/local newspaper or magazine and enjoy the ride. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
- A. Lyria trains offer two different classes of travel. In First class, a delicious cold at-seat meal is offered to you, no matter what time you travel. A large selection of Swiss, French, international magazines and newspapers are also available for your perusal. Onboard taxi booking service is also available from Monday to Friday. Comfortable seats will welcome you in Second class where you can also enjoy the convenience of a bar-buffet car.
Q. What is Rail Europe's cancellation policy for passes, point-to-point tickets, overnight trains, and specialty trains?A. Tickets and passes are neither refundable nor replaceable if stolen or lost. Refunds, when applicable, are limited to totally unused, and un-validated passes, tickets and inclusive packages. A minimum 15% cancellation charge applies. Refund amount for tickets will vary depending on the type of fare purchased. Please check the details for more specific refund policies for each ticket. For passes and packages please look at the Terms and Conditions. Sleepers: if cancelled and space released with the station of departure at least 24 hours before train departs, are generally 85% refundable. If reservation is not cancelled, no refund will be granted. Once in Europe, most tickets must be stamped as NOT USED before the Train Departure Date (for reservations) or the 1st day of validity (for tickets and passes) to be entiteled for refund. If you have already purchased your pass or tickets, please review the terms and conditions that come with your documents for specific information about the cancellation policy for each pass or ticket. To receive your refund for pass, documents must be returned to the issuing office within 6 months of the date of issuance (or 1st year depending on the pass). To receive you refund on combined tickets and reservations, they must be returned to the issuing office within 60 days. Click here to get the adress in our Contact Us section.
- A. Check-in is usually open 30 minutes before AVE train leaves and is closed 2 minutes before departure. Also, bear in mind that ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE Trains. For travellers carrying Eurail Pass including Spain – just remember that you need to validate your pass prior to boarding AVE trains and get a reservation.
- A. A "point to point ticket" is a rail ticket valid on a specific route, between two city stations whereas a Eurail Select Pass offers unlimited travel in 3 to 5 adjoining countries on a total list of 24 countries. The Eurail Select Pass allows you to save money if travelling mainly by train from one country to another.
- A. Train stations in Europe are very traveler friendly. Once arriving to the station there are large Departure and Arrival Boards located in the center of the most stations. Match the train number and departure time on your reservation / ticket to the train number listed on the departure board. Once you have found your train on the Departure Board, you will find a platform number where your train will be departing from. Upon arriving to your platform you will notice that each car (also known as a coach) number on the train is clearly indicated on the side of each coach. Check your reservation / ticket for your car/coach number. You notice the class of service will also be listed in addition to the car/coach number on the side of the train. Once onboard the train, you will find that similar to an airplane each seat is clearly labeled with a number. Match the seat number on your reservation / ticket number to seat number in the train car / coach. Train stations in Europe have international pictograms that are easy to understand and are used in international airports. These pictograms will assist you once you arrive to the station. If you still have difficulty in finding your train, the stations staff can always help point you in the right direction.
- A. Yes. If you’re on Turista class, you could buy some nice snacks and beverages to a bar buffet car. On Ave First class, a catering service will deliver you some meal and beverages directly to your seat. You could also get access to an A la Carte service at seat and even a bar service.
- A. Maps are provided with many multiple country passes and some single country passes. We have online maps for planning on our site.
Q. On Eurostar, what are the differences between the Business Premier, Leisure Select, and Standard Classes of service?A. Business Premier class is dedicated to serving the business traveler with its superior service. Business travelers can expect a nonsmoking car, fast lane check-in, use of the Executive Lounges, breakfast or a 3-course lunch or dinner with choice of entrée and wine, complimentary drink, newspapers, Wifi access in the terminal and lap top sockets on board the train. Leisure Select tickets provide complimentary food (including a 3-course dinner), beverages, and newspapers while you relax in your reclining seat. Full Fare tickets gives you access to the Eurostar Lounge. Standard Class offers comfort, convenience, and value. Enjoy the bar car, or purchase snacks and refreshments from the trolley cart when it comes to your seat.
- A. Eurostar is a reservation-only service and bookings can be taken up to 6 months in advance. Also bear in mind that Eurostar is not included in the Eurail pass or France Rail Pass program but you can still get a discount on Eurostar when buying a pass.
- A. We are unable to ship tickets purchased on Raileurope outside of your country of residence. We recommend that you have all travel documents in hand before departing from your country of residence.
answered | Posted by Anisha A. | Comments 2 | Created: 19/12/2016
answered | Posted by israel m. | Comments 0 | Created: 05/12/2016
answered | Posted by Tatev S. | Comments 0 | Created: 17/11/2016
answered | Posted by Ling n. | Comments 0 | Created: 05/11/2016
answered | Posted by Jaideep P. | Comments 0 | Created: 27/09/2016
Reviews & ratings Railjet - Austria and beyond
Overall rating (65)
Overall appreciationExcellent 32% Very good 37% Average 20% Poor 5% Terrible 5%
- "Christmas Vacation from USA" Rodney f. 08/01/2017
The train ride was very good except for the luggage aspect. If you have multiple bags (which people from the US on a long trip may have) then it's difficult to find space to store your luggage and no one is assigned to help out. There were many people who didn't have seats. Thankfully, my wife and I booked assigned seats. Value for money Convenience
- "Straightforward trip" Sharnjit g. 25/11/2016
The tickets came on time although you may wish to consider online tickets :) The train was fairly easy to find. It was a busy service but fairly comfortable. The wifi was terrible and it stopped at one station for so long, I think I could have walked the entire length of the train a few times! Value for money Convenience
- "Fantastic" William d. 15/11/2016
The only way to travel in Europe, no security checks, no arriving two hours before departing, comfortable seats, fantastic service. Fares were very reasonable for first class travel. We wish it was that easy to travel in Canada. Value for money Convenience
- "Best way to travel in Europe" Donald m. 26/10/2016
Train carraige clean and comfortable, Quality of food and service very good. Most important it runs on time to schedule. Value for money Convenience
- "Budapest- Vienna trip review" Chintan k. 26/10/2016
all in all a very enjoyable experience. Value for money Convenience
- "Business trip" Choo t. 06/10/2016
A very quiet and comfortable ride, beautiful scenery along the way. The seating are well organised. Seats are clean and seat no is easy to find. Very pleasant ambient. Value for money Convenience
- "Europe trip" Gary n. 27/09/2016
The biggest difficulty was with luggage. My wife said she traveled first class on another carrier and though this was comfortable, it didn't seem so first class. Seemed more like comfortable business class. Value for money Convenience
- "Amazing service" Haris k. 24/09/2016
I travelled from Zurich to salzburg. It was amazing conveniance as well as comfort. Scenery was great as well. However I used first class train that should have been more spacious and reclining seats should have been with leg cusioning as well Value for money Convenience
- "Convenient,clean and reliable" Balachandran p. 22/09/2016
This trip of about 2 hours Value for money Convenience
- "The better option for tourists" Balachandran p. 22/09/2016
The train service was very comfortable, clean and with excellent service for breakfast served at one's seat in the first class coach.Picture windows afford a wonderful view of the passing countryside while free wifi keeps you connected to the world ! would definitely recommend this is an option. Value for money Convenience
- "Comfortable " Anil Kumar j. 19/09/2016
Had a wonderful experience Value for money Convenience
- "Vienna_salzburg" . 17/09/2016
No issues. Train very nice. Spacious seating. On time
- "Convenient. Trouble boarding. " Ashlee c. 29/08/2016
My cousin and I arrived at the platform about 20 minutes prior to departure. We reserved our seats when we purchased our tickets, which I recommend! Boarding was very difficult. There are no rail attendants or cart attendants so tourists are helping one another figure out what to do. The carts are not noticeably marked but luckily, we boarded the cart our reserved seats were on. Many people have luggage and there isn't much space so people were literally pushed up against one another, in the walkways etc. trying to find their seats and a place for luggage. After about 15 or so minutes of craziness, everyone had a seat and it was calm. Value for money Convenience
- "comfortable scenic travel" George t. 21/08/2016
Would help to have information with the tickets re: availability of restaurant car for each leg (there was none on the 2nd leg) exact location of the initial train station The change of trains at Villach was very short. So, as it was between separate platforms, it was not friendly to the old or less mobile. Also, the information given by loud speaker on the train was no easy to understand, and no immediate information was given on the arrival platform that was easy to access for those not used to the local signs and systems. Value for money Convenience
- "Pleasant journey all round" Joseph f. 12/08/2016
Travelled first class which certainly looked a lot more comfortable than second class. Table service was sometimes difficult to get hold off but the 'happy hour' menu initiative did make it feel much more affordable and privileged based on seats. On the value for money side, we had to choose flexible ticket via Rail Europe as the OBB website with non-flexible offerings wasn't working at payment stage. Could have saved a lot by buying direct if this wasn't the case as we didn't need the flexibility offered. Take things to do on this journey - the 4 hours is longer than you'd like to think with not much scenery to enjoy. No border control anywhere on the trip so you can keep passport safe without fear. Value for money Convenience