Swedish Night TrainsSweden : SJ
- Stockholm - Oslo: 00:00
- Book up to 90 days in advance
- Night trains
- Secure cabins with cozy berths
- Save on accommodation
travellers in 2015
years of rail travel experience
Swedish Night Trains
Swedish night trains. Travel in Scandinavia to discover Malmö, Gothenburg, Kiruna, Narvik and Stockholm.
The Swedish night trains are operated by SJ, the national railway company of Sweden. The SJ night train is one of Europe’s most modern trains, with characteristically Scandinavian airy and light cars.
All the SJ night trains have refreshment facilities. The excellent food, and wine, is specially selected according to the seasons. During night time, you have a pleasant time in the on board cinema. It is a proper auditorium with a large screen and 21 seats, showing two films a night until 11 pm. There’s also a fully-licensed bistro in the carriage next door. With the night trains in Sweden, you can travel to the north of the country to visit Luleå, Kiruna and Narvik, Europe’s last wilderness. After your cosy and comfortable night’s sleep you’ll wake up to discover unspoiled countryside and expansive landscapes.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations include Malmö, Gothenburg, Östersund and Stockholm. Here’s an idea of the routes and durations.
|Gothenburg – Åre||13h|
|Stockholm – Åre||8h|
|Malmö – Stockholm||8h|
|Stockholm – Luleå/Kiruna/Narvik||11h 10|
|Gothenburg – Luleå/Kiruna/Narvik||19h 45|
|Stockholm – Oslo (summer season only)||8h|
|Malmö – Berlin (not during winter time)||7h|
|Malmö – Oslo (summer season only)||7h 30|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Swedish Night Trains tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
There’s a SJ night train lounge in both Stockholm and Göteborg for 1st class passengers. You can chill out, grab something to eat, buy last minutes stuff in the shop and use the wireless internet to check your emails. There’s also help on hand if you have any questions about your journey.If you’re travelling from Stockholm, Malmö or Åre, you can check in and board the train well ahead of the departure time to ensure you’re settled in time for the whistle.
|First class||First class||Second class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Sleeper single deluxe||1st class sleepers||2nd class sleepers||2nd class seats|
|1-bed cabin Ample space for a very comfortable ride. small>|
|2-bed cabin) Ample space for a very comfortable ride in the Double deluxe cabin. small>|
|Private bathroom Freshen up with a shower or use the WC for more convenience. small>|
|Shared bathroom Freshen up or use the WC for more convenience. small>|
|2 or 3-bed cabin Ample space for a very comfortable ride. small>|
|6-bed cabin The best way for a very comfortable ride in the company of friends or other fellow travellers in the Couchette compartments. small>|
|Sheet, sleeping bag and blanket Travel on a budget, yet comfortably. small>|
|Restaurant car Drinks, snacks and delicious meals, to make the most of your trip. small>|
|Breakfast The most important meal of the day for a memorable experience. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
- A. No, Eurostar does not transport cars. You can transport your car on Le Shuttle, which carries cars through the Channel Tunnel. For reservations with Le Shuttle, please call 08705 35 35 35 or at www.eurotunnel.com.
- A. Your Eurail Select pass must be validated by a railway official in one of the countries mentioned on the Eurail Select Pass (station’s desk) who also fills your first and last day of travel in the passport number.
- A. There are no check-in or customs procedures before boarding TGV trains. However, you must be onboard at the latest 2 minutes prior to the departure time, beyond which access to the train cannot be guaranteed. Ticket control and passport checks will occur on board the train.
- A. We recommend that you choose the Rail Protection Plan when travelling in Europe. It provides a compensation in the case of loss or theft when you are in Europe. Conditions apply. Visit our Contact us section to get more information about the Rail Protection Plan. Please note that the Rail Protection Plan is non-refundable and non-exchangeable.
- A. Not presently but as soon as European railways introduce e-tickets, we will be able to offer them.
- A. All passengers with an AVE ticket may carry up to two pieces of hand luggage, for which they will be responsible and which they must store in the designated areas. The total weight limit is 20 kg and the combined dimensions (length + width + height) of each piece of luggage must not be more than 250 cm.
- A. A range of discounts and special offers are available in the European countries in which your Eurail Select Pass is valid. One of the most popular benefits is the discounted and free travel on various European ferry crossings. Other benefits include discounts on hotels, museums and additional transport.
- A. Frecciarossa trains run on the high-speed line connecting Turin to Salerno, Northern to Southern Italy and more particularly Milan, Bologna, Florence, Rome, and Naples. These trains connect Bologna to Florence in just 37 minutes and Rome to Milan in less than 3 hours. Travel time between Milan and Florence is just 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- A. A "point to point ticket" is a rail ticket valid on a specific route, between two city stations whereas a Eurail Italy pass offers unlimited rail travel in Italy from 3 to 10 days. If you’re planning to travel several times by train, buying a Eurail Italy pass will be a more affordable option that buying individual rail tickets.
Q. Why is printing options not authorized for all tickets which are sold on the Rail Europe Websites?A.When booking your tickets, you can choose your printing option: Paper ticket, "Print @ Home" or "Print @ the station". Paper tickets are always available. Nevertheless, the other options can be unavailable, depending on the route you have chosen. Please note that for the moment, "Print @ the station" is only offered on Eurostar, ATOC and on all trains departing from France (domestic and international trains such as Thalys, TGV Lyria etc.). The "Print @ Home" option is only offered if the booking includes a Eurostar, Thalys, French Journeys or Spanish trains.
answered | Posted by CHENG D. | Comments 0 | Created: 10/12/2015
answered | Posted by Mohamed E. | Comments 0 | Created: 21/11/2015
answered | Posted by talia z. | Comments 9 | Created: 18/11/2015
answered | Posted by CHENG D. | Comments 0 | Created: 14/11/2015
answered | Posted by Ng C. | Comments 2 | Created: 04/11/2015
Reviews & ratings Swedish Night Trains
Overall rating (213)
Overall appreciationExcellent 35% Very good 35% Average 21% Poor 7% Terrible 2%
- "4 hours delay" Kwok Sun y. 16/06/2016
Announcement re the delays were not made timely and were made only in Swedish (I guess). Value for money Convenience
- "Comfort" . 06/08/2015
It was the perfect choise to do it It can be done faster if it was express but this possibility is not valid as far as i know
- "Vikings on Rails" Werner s. 07/10/2014
I travelled the 3 nordic Countries NOR; SVE and DAN by Rail and was more than impressed, especially also in Relation to the Railway System we have here in Germany Price, Service and everything was super and made my Trip a real Success. Value for money Convenience
- "Good trip" . 13/08/2014
- "Fine but not great" Tze-keng k. 09/07/2014
The facilities are nice and the staff helpful, but there is nobody responding to what had happened in the coach I was in. There were a pair of Chinese mother and son, and they were watching movies from notebook without putting on there headset, making the whole coach filled with the loud music and sound effect. It wasn't pleasant at all, but I don't blame the train staff. Value for money Convenience
- "Average" Wing Kin c. 16/11/2013
- "Journey to Copenhagen" Man Wai Erik l. 30/08/2013
Expensive one-way ticket from Stockholm to Copenhagen (compared with that of the journey from Oslo to Stockholm) Value for money Convenience