Swedish Night TrainsSweden : SJ
- Stockholm - Oslo: 00:00
- Book up to 90 days in advance
- Night trains
- Secure cabins with cozy berths
- Save on accommodation
5.5 milliontravellers in 2015
75+years of rail travel experience
Swedish Night Trains
Swedish night trains. Travel in Scandinavia to discover Malmö, Gothenburg, Kiruna, Narvik and Stockholm.
The Swedish night trains are operated by SJ, the national railway company of Sweden. The SJ night train is one of Europe’s most modern trains, with characteristically Scandinavian airy and light cars.
All the SJ night trains have refreshment facilities. The excellent food, and wine, is specially selected according to the seasons. During night time, you have a pleasant time in the on board cinema. It is a proper auditorium with a large screen and 21 seats, showing two films a night until 11 pm. There’s also a fully-licensed bistro in the carriage next door. With the night trains in Sweden, you can travel to the north of the country to visit Luleå, Kiruna and Narvik, Europe’s last wilderness. After your cosy and comfortable night’s sleep you’ll wake up to discover unspoiled countryside and expansive landscapes.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations include Malmö, Gothenburg, Östersund and Stockholm. Here’s an idea of the routes and durations.
|Gothenburg – Åre||13h|
|Stockholm – Åre||8h|
|Malmö – Stockholm||8h|
|Stockholm – Luleå/Kiruna/Narvik||11h 10|
|Gothenburg – Luleå/Kiruna/Narvik||19h 45|
|Stockholm – Oslo (summer season only)||8h|
|Malmö – Berlin (not during winter time)||7h|
|Malmö – Oslo (summer season only)||7h 30|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Swedish Night Trains tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Seat Reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
There’s a SJ night train lounge in both Stockholm and Göteborg for 1st class passengers. You can chill out, grab something to eat, buy last minutes stuff in the shop and use the wireless internet to check your emails. There’s also help on hand if you have any questions about your journey.If you’re travelling from Stockholm, Malmö or Åre, you can check in and board the train well ahead of the departure time to ensure you’re settled in time for the whistle.
|First class||First class||Second class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Sleeper single deluxe||1st class sleepers||2nd class sleepers||2nd class seats|
|1-bed cabin Ample space for a very comfortable ride. small>|
|2-bed cabin) Ample space for a very comfortable ride in the Double deluxe cabin. small>|
|Private bathroom Freshen up with a shower or use the WC for more convenience. small>|
|Shared bathroom Freshen up or use the WC for more convenience. small>|
|2 or 3-bed cabin Ample space for a very comfortable ride. small>|
|6-bed cabin The best way for a very comfortable ride in the company of friends or other fellow travellers in the Couchette compartments. small>|
|Sheet, sleeping bag and blanket Travel on a budget, yet comfortably. small>|
|Restaurant car Drinks, snacks and delicious meals, to make the most of your trip. small>|
|Breakfast The most important meal of the day for a memorable experience. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
- A. No, there are no student discounts. Discounts are offered to youth travelers instead. A youth traveler is any traveler who is 25 years of age or younger.
- A. On all domestic routes in France and all international routes that depart from France. When traveling round trip on an international route you will need to print both tickets before you depart. For more detailed information on how to use a French self service kiosk review: How do I retrieve my e-tickets at French train stations?
- A. No. There are no youth discounts for the extension. You can however have a discount if you are under 26 when buying a German Rail Pass. That means you will travel in 2nd class.
- A. There is no check in or customs procedures for Italo trains. However ticket control or ID checks can occur randomly on board. Make sure to have your travel documents with you at all times.
- A. Heathrow Express arrives in London's Paddington Station.
- A. Maps are provided with many multiple country passes and some single country passes. We have online maps for planning on our site.
Q. What is the difference between 1st and 2nd class on the Thalys (Paris to Brussels and Amsterdam)?A. First class on the Thalys offers large comfortable reclining seats and drinks and a light snack served at your seat. Second class on the Thalys offers generous legroom and a selection of drinks and snacks at your seat that are available for purchase.
- A. Simply enter 1 passenger on the request page. The results page will display 1-3 passenger rooms depending on what is available. When booking a room that has more than one bed, the compartment is shared.
- A. Lyria trains offer two different classes of travel. In First class, a delicious cold at-seat meal is offered to you, no matter what time you travel. A large selection of Swiss, French, international magazines and newspapers are also available for your perusal. Onboard taxi booking service is also available from Monday to Friday. Comfortable seats will welcome you in Second class where you can also enjoy the convenience of a bar-buffet car.
answered | Posted by CHENG D. | Comments 0 | Created: 10/12/2015
answered | Posted by Mohamed E. | Comments 0 | Created: 21/11/2015
answered | Posted by talia z. | Comments 9 | Created: 18/11/2015
answered | Posted by CHENG D. | Comments 0 | Created: 14/11/2015
answered | Posted by Ng C. | Comments 2 | Created: 04/11/2015
Reviews & ratings Swedish Night Trains
Overall rating (213)
Overall appreciationExcellent 35% Very good 35% Average 21% Poor 7% Terrible 2%
- "4 hours delay" Kwok Sun y. 16/06/2016
Announcement re the delays were not made timely and were made only in Swedish (I guess). Value for money Convenience
- "Comfort" . 06/08/2015
It was the perfect choise to do it It can be done faster if it was express but this possibility is not valid as far as i know
- "Vikings on Rails" Werner s. 07/10/2014
I travelled the 3 nordic Countries NOR; SVE and DAN by Rail and was more than impressed, especially also in Relation to the Railway System we have here in Germany Price, Service and everything was super and made my Trip a real Success. Value for money Convenience
- "Good trip" . 13/08/2014
- "Fine but not great" Tze-keng k. 09/07/2014
The facilities are nice and the staff helpful, but there is nobody responding to what had happened in the coach I was in. There were a pair of Chinese mother and son, and they were watching movies from notebook without putting on there headset, making the whole coach filled with the loud music and sound effect. It wasn't pleasant at all, but I don't blame the train staff. Value for money Convenience
- "Average" Wing Kin c. 16/11/2013
- "Journey to Copenhagen" Man Wai Erik l. 30/08/2013
Expensive one-way ticket from Stockholm to Copenhagen (compared with that of the journey from Oslo to Stockholm) Value for money Convenience