Thello Night trainsItaly : Trenitalia
- Paris - Venice: 13:24
- Book up to 120 days in advance
- Night trains
- Secure cabins with cozy berths
- Save on accommodation
travellers in 2015
years of rail travel experience
Thello Night trains
Thello night trains. Ideal to travel from Paris to Milan, Venice and Florence.
Hop on board the Thello, the night train which travels between France and Italy. Enjoy a delicious dinner and relax in your bed to wake up afresh the next day. This popular service has carried more than 1 million people in the heart of Paris, Florence, Milan or Venice. Travelling at a speed of 180 km/h, the train will allow you to sleep cosily in a comfortable sleeper or couchette. If you have purchased a rail pass, please note that Passholder fares are not offered for Thello trains. Attendants are available at all hours on the Thello. The train attendants will handle customs procedures and wake you up before arriving at your destination.
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Thello Night trains tickets are open for booking 120 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
Experience the service
The Thello train leaves from Paris-Gare de Lyon in France.You don’t have to check in before travelling. However make sure that you board the train at least 2 minutes before departure. Make sure that you have a ticket which includes a reservation.
|First class||First class||Second class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Single sleeper||Double and Triple sleeper T3||4-bed Couchettes T4||6-bed Couchettes T6|
|Washbasin Practical to freshen up anytime during your trip. small>|
|Air conditioned carriages Makes it bliss when travelling during the summer period. small>|
|Security Lock and spy hole on the door for a maximum privacy and security. small>|
|Drink Bottles of water are available on board. small>|
|Cabin arrangement At your request, an attendant will arrange the cabin for the night. small>|
|Newspapers and magazines Grab your free international/local newspaper or magazine and enjoy the ride. small>|
|Breakfast The most important meal of the day for a memorable experience. small>|
|Wake-up service You will be woke-up about 30 to 60 minutes before the train’s arrival. small>|
Sleepers: your home from home!
- Thello Night trains offer a Sleeper class with 1 to 3 berth-cabins, with gender distinctions in 2 and 3 berth-cabins, except for people who reserve together. Each cabin has a washbasin, a razor socket, a complimentary toiletry kit, and the comfort of a real bed. Attendants can set up your cabin for the night. You also benefit from a wake-up service and a coffee and croissant at the restaurant car.
Couchettes: economical and practical
- Thello Night trains Couchettes offer 4 or 6 berth-cabins with no gender distinction. As in Sleepers, you can benefit from the help of an attendant. The wake-up service between 30 to 60 minutes before your arrival and a bottle of water in the evening are free of charge.
When you eat well, you sleep well!
- The bar is available for a quick snack with hot and cold beverages and light sweet and savoury dishes. The Thello Night train dining car and its restaurant await you with two set menus for a genuine gourmet meal, providing a full meal served at your table. If you are travelling by sleeping car, the attendant will collect your reservation, otherwise simply come to the dining car where you will be seated on a “first come first served” basis.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. The Swiss Family Card is a terrific value that allows children under 16 years of age to travel free when accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The card is free, simply request one at the time you purchase your Swiss Pass. If you forget to mention it, then present your Swiss pass before boarding the train at any Swiss train station ticket window, at the time of validation and advise them that you need a Family Card. They will be able to provide you one.
- A. Finding Train Tickets and Schedules can be accomplished with just a few simple steps. First click on the "Train Tickets" section, located on the top of any page. There you will find a form asking for your departure city and arrival city and the date that you would like to travel. You will also be asked the approximate time that you want to travel (morning, afternoon or evening). If you would like to book a round trip ticket, just click on the "Round Trip" option and provide the information for your return trip on the same page. Once all of your information has been entered and you have clicked "Search" you will be presented with a number of results to choose from. First, you will want to look through the times offered to see what the best schedule for your travel. Once you have chosen a schedule, you should begin to look at the prices that are offered. Fares are typically broken down into categories, Business, Flexi First, Best Price First, Flexi Second, Best Price Second and Super Saver. Best Price First and Best Price Second are classes tickets being more restrictive in terms of flexibility. Flexi First, Flexi second and Business are classes offering more flexibility. Although these classifications do apply to several different train types, it is always recommended that you click on the "Details" link under each fare type to show the specific refund and exchange rules for that price. Once you have decided on the train and fare that you would like to purchase, click on the "select" link, which will take you to the passenger selection page. Once you have input your passenger information you can choose to continue shopping or proceed to the checkout process.
- A. Toilets are easily accessible on all the trains and are usually marked with the letters WC. Toilets can usually be found at the front or back of each train car (also known as a coach), and will include a sink, toilet and a locking door.
- A. Timetables for European Train schedules can be difficult to read and determine what the trains are running. For fast and easy schedule results view our train times on our Train Tickets and Schedules page to view each route.
- A. First class on the Italian day train offers large, comfortable reclining seats, and bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase. (on major routes) Second class on the Italian day train offers generous legroom and bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase. (on major routes)
- A. Train stations in Europe are very traveler friendly. Once arriving to the station there are large Departure and Arrival Boards located in the center of the most stations. Match the train number and departure time on your reservation / ticket to the train number listed on the departure board. Once you have found your train on the Departure Board, you will find a platform number where your train will be departing from. Upon arriving to your platform and you will notice that each car (also known as a coach) number on the train is clearly indicated on the side of each coach. Check your reservation / ticket for your car/coach number. You notice the class of service will also be listed in addition to the car/coach number on the side of the train. Once onboard the train, you will find that similar to an airplane each seat is clearly labeled with a number. Match the seat number on your reservation / ticket number to seat number in the train car / coach. Train stations in Europe have international pictograms that are easy to understand and are used in international airports. These pictograms will assist you once you arrive to the station. If you still have difficulty in finding your train, the stations staff can always help point you in the right direction.
- A. There are no check-in or customs procedures before boarding ICE trains. Just be aware that for international destinations, ticket control and passport checks will occur on boarding the train. And if you are a pass holder, just remember that you have to validate your pass prior to boarding the ICE trains.
- A. In order to accommodate a group of 5 travelers, you will need to do 2 separate requests. You have the following options: * 2 passengers in a double, and the other 3 in a T3 compartment (if offered). * 4 passengers in a T4 (if offered) and 1 passenger in a single. * 4 passengers split into 2 double compartments, and 1 passenger in a single. * Reserve all 5 in a T6 compartment. Options a, b, and c will need to be requested separately as it has been broken down. Option d can be requested all at once.
- A. On-board Eurostar, you are allowed two medium-sized cases (85cm at their longest length), and one piece of hand luggage per passenger. Any luggage over the allowance will be counted as excess luggage and will incur a fee. This will be arranged at the Eurostar terminal on your arrival.
- A. First class on the Spanish day train offers large, comfortable reclining seats, friendly staff to serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat and major routes have audio and video programs at your seat. Second class on the Spanish day train offers generous legroom, bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase and major routes have audio and video programs at your seat.
answered | Posted by Rob C. | Comments 13 | Created: 03/01/2017
answered | Posted by Catherine R. | Comments 0 | Created: 09/07/2016
answered | Posted by Ayatollah A. | Comments 0 | Created: 25/06/2016
Want to travel round trip using one route and then return using a different route. is this one round trip ticket or two seperate (...)want to travel paris to florence using the Milan route and then travel Pisa to paris using the Nice or Marseille route. is this (...)
answered | Posted by Jon S. | Comments 0 | Created: 08/06/2016
answered | Posted by peter a. | Comments 2 | Created: 04/06/2016
Reviews & ratings Thello Night trains
Overall rating (117)
Overall appreciationExcellent 12% Very good 20% Average 25% Poor 21% Terrible 22%
- "Where to Begin" Tania g. 18/09/2016
Noisy and very uncomfortable. The air conditioning was not switched on until the train left and in 33 degrees it wasn't good. There was no real room for the luggage and constant noise throughout the journey. Not a great experience at all. Value for money Convenience
- "night train" Yogi p. 14/09/2015
a little hot in the room when we started the trip from Dijon, but overall is quite good. too bad no free wi fi. Value for money Convenience
- "Overall it was a smooth ride" Roger Ka Chun w. 30/11/2014
Overall it was a smooth ride but the cabin is very tiny and a bit wore down. Value for money Convenience
- "need travel insurance" Robert s. 20/11/2014
unfortunately you can not get sick or have a trip disruption . if you are unable to use your tickets and cannot get to the staion before the travel date you lose the cost of your ticket at least with airlines you would get something back Value for money Convenience
- "Interesting night" Marsha m. 20/10/2014
The overnight train was a new adventure for me. It was surprisingly comfortable, and I was pleasantly surprised to have a compartment to myself. The finishes were no doubt clean, but they seemed dingy. Perhaps a refresh is in order? Value for money Convenience
- "Easy way to travel" Roberto b. 09/10/2014
Needs to update the fleet Value for money Convenience
- "European Adventure." Jason r. 25/08/2014
When it comes to traveling by train, I think you get what you paid for. The bunks were very clean and safe, the staff was knowledgeable, and the ride was on time and convenient. We would use the train again. Value for money Convenience
- "Thello night train" Ginny h. 22/07/2014
The sleep on the train was surprisingly comfortable! It was certainly a new experience to sleep while travelling to another different country. There was enough space in a 6 bunk coach. Our train conductor was friendly as well. Only con was the toilet was not very clean and smelt bad. And also during the night we had to switch train compartments as ours had faulty problems (aircond and all electricity items) not working. Was a mad rush to wake up suddenly to be told to move as all other passengers were rushing to their compartments. However, the conductors has allocated us new bunk beds earlier so no arguments on who gets which beds. Other than that, it was great. Value for money Convenience
- "Family Trip Paris to Rome" William Lee k. 09/07/2014
Our first overnight train trip. Overall the trip was exciting. The sleeping car was very basic, no frills and had limited amenities. The sleeping car seemed dated and not the cleanest. Value for money Convenience
- "Professional and friendly" Caro b. 04/06/2014
We were two ladies travelling together in a couchette. Arriving at the train we realised we had been booked in a couchette with a strange man. We were quite upset as we did not want to share with a man. The conductor was so friendly! she arranged another couchette for the gentleman and we two ladies had a comfortable ride. Thank you Joy for all your help. Value for money Convenience
- "Too quiet" Frederick H k. 14/05/2014
Continue our trip from Rome, Milano to Paris on a sleeper coach was another experience. Everything so perfect. Timing and schedule accurate to minute. Friendly ticket check before boarding the train avoiding disturb when sleeping. When train stops it was so quiet like sleeping at home. Will definetly need user friendly staff for breakfast. Value for money Convenience
- "Interesting Experience" . 12/05/2014
We traveled from Milan to Paris as a couple and on booking you are really not sure what you are going to get as it is not very specific! We got a carriage with 6 people all random - mixed male and female. I found this rather awkward as it was a Pensioner and a young man of -25 and a young lady and her friend a young guy they were about 20 or so. Fortunately all respectable folk - otherwise this could be potentially a hazardous situation for the young lady if the fellows were not very nice. I feel that the booking needs to be more specific so you can be put into compartments that you are assured to be safe! Also I would have preferred to know that this was not a very fast train, that it stopped quite a few times. How does one know which train is fast and which is slow? The toilet facility was disgusting - but through no fault of the railway - but the people that used it!
- "Excellent service" Mikhail v. 13/11/2013
I booked a train ticked for my girlfriend to go from Dijon to Bologna and the price and the convenience was much better that with sncf. Value for money Convenience
- "adverse" . 30/09/2013
During overnight journey, toilet flush did not work inthe toilet. Dinner items were not adequate. And that too finished early. Self being handicapped, help with luggage was not readily available. Rest were ok Value for money Convenience
- "6 bed berth" . 24/09/2013
it was terrible especiall at the lowest bed portion... noisy train