Why choose us?
900,000 travellers in 2012
N° 1 distributor of train tickets.
Helpful travel experts
Our dedicated staff at your service.
All of Europe, one place to buy your tickets!
Rail Europe Travel+
Free coupons, train travel guide and more.
Member of Trusted Commerce program.
Need assistance planning ?
Review and ratings (352)
Experience comfort and style, upgrade to 1st class!
Find a point to point ticket
Hop on board the Thello, the night train which travels between France and Italy. Enjoy a delicious dinner and relax in your bed to wake up afresh the next day. This popular service has carried more than 1 million people in the heart of Paris, Florence, Milan or Venice.
Travelling at a speed of 180km/h, the train will allow you to sleep cosily in a comfortable sleeper or couchette. The Thello train leaves from Paris-Gare de Lyon in France.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations include Paris, Florence, Rome, Milan and Venice. The following is a sample of the schedule:
|Paris to Florence||12h 21|
|Milan to Paris||08h 44|
|Paris to Venice||13h 01|
|Rome to Paris||14h 56|Paris Rome 14:58 $180 Paris Venice 13:19 $144 Paris Milan 09:39 $115 Paris Florence 11:58 $180
- Pass holders are not entitled to a reduced fare.
- Attendants are available at all hours on the Thello. The train attendants will handle customs procedures and wake you up before arriving at your destination.
Booking & Ticket deliveryBooking :
- Thello tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Ticket delivery option(s) :
|Paper ticket||Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.|
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Before you board
Make sure that you have a ticket which includes a reservation.
|First class||First class||Second class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Single sleeper||Double and Triple sleeper T3||4-bed Couchettes T4||6-bed Couchettes T6|
|Washbasin Practical to freshen up anytime during your trip. small>||√|
|Air conditioned carriages Makes it bliss when travelling during the summer period. small>||√||√||√||√|
|Security Lock and spy hole on the door for a maximum privacy and security. small>||√|
|Drink Bottles of water are available on board. small>||√||√||√||√|
|Cabin arrangement At your request, an attendant will arrange the cabin for the night. small>||√||√||√||√|
|Newspapers and magazines Grab your free international/local newspaper or magazine and enjoy the ride. small>||√|
|Breakfast The most important meal of the day for a memorable experience. small>||√|
|Wake-up service You will be woke-up about 30 to 60 minutes before the train’s arrival. small>||√||√||√||√|
Sleepers: your home from home!
- Thello Night trains offer a Sleeper class with 1 to 3 berth-cabins, with gender distinctions in 2 and 3 berth-cabins, except for people who reserve together. Each cabin has a washbasin, a razor socket, a complimentary toiletry kit, and the comfort of a real bed. Attendants can set up your cabin for the night. You also benefit from a wake-up service and a coffee and croissant at the restaurant car.
Couchettes: economical and practical
- Thello Night trains Couchettes offer 4 or 6 berth-cabins with no gender distinction. As in Sleepers, you can benefit from the help of an attendant. The wake-up service between 30 to 60 minutes before your arrival and a bottle of water in the evening are free of charge.
When you eat well, you sleep well!
- The bar is available for a quick snack with hot and cold beverages and light sweet and savoury dishes. The Thello Night train dining car and its restaurant await you with two set menus for a genuine gourmet meal, providing a full meal served at your table. If you are travelling by sleeping car, the attendant will collect your reservation, otherwise simply come to the dining car where you will be seated on a “first come first served” basis.
Interactive travel map
Review and ratings
Overall rating (352)
Overall appreciationExcellent 12% Very good 20% Average 25% Poor 21% Terrible 22%
"not what I expected for my mon" Anne b.
I travelled from Dijon to Florence and back in April. When I booked my ticket on raileurope.com, I payed for what was called a 1st class ticket. Well, it was a compartment with 4 beds, not very special in the way you would think a 1st class bed would be (it's actually a "couchette" not a bed). And the free water bottle didn't make up for the comfort of the couchette. The train was late both ways, 1 hour on the way to FLorence, 2 and a half hours on the way back and apparently it's a very common occurence. Nothing to say about the staff though, excellent welcome, friendly and professional, helping out with the delay for people to get their connections later. Thelio has actually offer a partial refund for the delay (it happens if the train is more than 1 hour late). It remains a very efficient way to go from France to Italy, but my advice would be to just book a seat, you will probably sllep as much as in a sleeping compartment. Value for money Convenience
"Good service and convenient"Michelle t. 04/05/2013
Good train. Meal included with ticket, which is great! Value for money Convenience
"Overnight Milaon to Paris"Daniel p. 28/03/2013
Disappointing in that comfort was average, cramped double berth cabin Comfort Value for money Convenience
"Paris-Milan"Hilary t. 07/11/2012
Couchettes are three high, and the bottom one is not comfortable as the space to the above bed is narrow and the bed is also.However as there were only 4 persons in the compartment, we were able to sleep on the upper berths and they are very comfortable. The train is very fast, late arriving but made up some of that time. All in all a good way to travel. Comfort Value for money Convenience
"Clean but a bit small bed"Lai Nga A t. 07/11/2012
I was sleeping on the lower bunk and it was a bit smaller than the upper one. Overall ok. Comfort Value for money Convenience
"from sumeet saxena"Sumeet s. 03/11/2012
its was really bad as trains are very narrow and cabins are to tight space and it was smelling bad , no fresh air provision was there so overall very bad experience , not going to travel by trains in italy... Comfort Value for money Convenience
"Overnight train"Siew Siew o. 29/10/2012
The overnight train seems very old among our travel from rail, compare with others rail we have take in the day light, the oldest among all. Comfort Convenience