Experience a journey back in time as you travel from Wilderswil to Interlaken Ost to board a vintage cogwheel train. This magnificent vintage train, complete with wooden seats and conductors in uniforms from years gone by, will carry you up to Schynige Platte. Within an hour, you will reach the top and spectacular views of the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau, Lake Thun, Niesen, Stockhorn and Jura will present themselves to you. Aside from the striking scenery, take some time to visit the Botanical Alpine Garden, the only one of its kind in Switzerland housing nearly 600 species of plants. If the active life is more your pace, this is the perfect place to hit the trails and discover nature on a hike. Feeling hungry? Enjoy the charming restaurant with terrace, and visit the mountain’s hotel! And a bonus, Swiss Travel Pass holders can enjoy all the amazing things to see and do on Schynige Platte for free! Don’t miss out on this one-in-a-lifetime excursion, memories are just waiting to be made!
Experience the beauty of Schynige Platte on nostalgic ride
- From Interlaken Ost board the unique cogwheel train with vintage wooden seats reminiscent of its 1893 inaugural journey up the Schynige Platte
- Visit the Alpine Botanical garden
- Issued as a paper document
- Impressive views of Eiger, Mönch, Jungfrau, and lakes Thun and Brienz
- Children under 6 travel free sharing adult passenger’s seat
- Discount offered with Swiss Travel Pass
• Includes round-trip travel from Wilderswil or Interlaken to Schynige Platte on board a unique vintage cogwheel train.
• The 52-minute journey brings you to the summit where the following activities can be found:
• The only botanical Alpine garden in Switzerland with 650 species of flowers.
• Impressive views of the Eiger, Mönch, Jungfrau and Lakes Thun and Brienz.
• Daily entertainment by costumed Alphorn players.
• Easy circular hiking trails.
• Mountain hotel and panorama restaurant with spacious terrace.
• Nature cinema and railway exhibition.
• Discounted fares are valid when traveling with a Swiss Half Fare Card and Eurail Pass that includes Switzerland, please refer to the type of pass you have when selecting your tickets.
• Free travel with a valid Swiss Travel Pass (use of travel day required).
• All child rates are valid for children ages 6 -15.
• Children under 6 are free.
• Children traveling with a Swiss Family Card are free when they travel with a parent or guardian that is traveling with a Swiss Travel Pass. Where noted below, please indicate the number of children that are NOT covered by the Swiss Family Card. Note: these children will be required to purchase a ticket.
• Train tickets and Swiss Transfer tickets are not valid for rail pass discounts.
• Tickets are valid for six months from the date of purchase.
• Operating daily starting 26 May, 2018.
• Cogwheel train operates daily every 40 minutes from 07:25 am to 04:45 pm. During bad weather, the schedule may be changed without prior notice.
• Prices are subject to change.
From our travel community
You may also be interested in
Common Questions, Simple Answers
Q. How are sleeping compartments kept secure?
A. Overnight trains have conductors on duty throughout the duration of the train ride. In addition, sleeping compartments have locks on the doors that you control.
Q. Can I bring my pet on board?
A. Generally, cats and dogs are allowed on trains, though they may need to be contained in a pet carrier or wear a muzzle or leash. Pets are not allowed on some trains in Great Britain, Spain, Ireland, Norway, and Finland. Currently the only animals that are permitted to travel on Eurostar are guide dogs for the visually impaired.
Some trains require advance reservations for pets. Unfortunately, Rail Europe cannot make reservations for your pet. This will need to be done locally. In general, dogs normally travel at half the fare of a second class ticket, payable directly to the conductor.
Q. What fees does Rail Europe charge?
A. Rail Europe charges different types of fees for the services we provide. These fees are waived under certain circumstances. Below is a list of the fees we charge.
Delivery Fee: this fee covers the cost of delivering your travel documents to you, allowing you to relax, knowing that you have everything you need prior to your departure.
Customer Care Centre Fee: this fee is charged only when bookings are made over the phone through one of our Customer Care Centres.
Rail Europe Processing Fee: this fee allows us to continue to provide travellers with a wide range of European rail products to choose from, in addition to offering quality customer support before, during, and after your trip.
Administrative Fee: this fee is charged only for refunds and exchanges. It is 7% of the original train ticket or rail pass price.
Q. Where can I find my e ticket number or e ticket confirmation code?
A. Your e-ticket number or e-ticket confirmation code is a string of 6 letters (or an 8 character alphanumeric code for British e-tickets) that can be found on your Rail Europe email invoice.
In addition, if you have purchased on our website while signed into your Rail Europe account, you may retrieve this code by looking up your booking in your Dashboard. You can also find it by accessing your itinerary through our mobile site or iPhone app.
Q. Are there shower facilities on board?
A. Onboard shower facilities vary by car equipment, operating carrier, and the class of service you’re booked in. You can view the details when you search for the train you wish to travel on.
In addition, there may be shower facilities at the rail stations. Typically, you will need to pay a fee to use these showers.
Q. How do I use the bonuses that come with rail passes?
A. Rail Pass travel bonuses must be redeemed locally.
There are two types of bonuses. Free bonuses (such as a free airport transfer) require the use of a travel day on your pass. If all travel days have been used on your rail pass you will not be able to take advantage of any more free bonuses. Discount bonuses do not require you to use a travel day, but do require that your pass still be within its validity period. In other words, even if you’ve used up all your days on a pass, you can still claim discounted bonuses as long as the pass validity period has not expired.
The exception to this rule is the Swiss Travel Pass. Although a discounted bonus doesn’t require you to use a travel day on your Swiss Travel Pass, the pass must still be valid and you must not have used up all your travel days.
Q. Can I sit in Second class if I have a First class rail pass?
A. Yes you can, provided there is an available seat. If you are traveling on a train that requires reservations, you can reserve your seat in Second class with a First class rail pass (subject to availability). Please note that there will be no refund given for the difference in fare.
Q. I accidentally deleted the email with the link to print my print at home e-ticket, what should I do?
A. No worries. If you registered on our site and have a Rail Europe user account, you can simply log in and review your most recent booking in your dashboard. The link to reprint your e-ticket is available on this page. If you have not created a Rail Europe user account, you can send us a email at firstname.lastname@example.org, include your booking number and we will resend the link to print your e-ticket.
Q. Can a rail pass be issued as an e ticket or e pass?
A. At this time, most rail passes are printed as a paper document and must be shipped to you prior to your departure to Europe. If a rail pass is offered as an e-pass this option will be offered at the time of booking. For rail passes offered as e-passes, you will need to print it out on paper prior to arriving at the train station.
Q. Can I purchase a rail pass when I'm in Europe?
A. In general, rail passes can only be purchased prior to your arrival in Europe and cannot be purchased locally. If you’re already in Europe and would like to purchase a rail pass, we may be able to assist you, please call us at 1-800-622-8600.
With international shipping, we can send your rail pass to Austria, Belgium, Denmark, England, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Scotland, Spain, Sweden, or Switzerland. The fee for orders sent to Europe is $40 USD or $45 CAD and delivery takes 3 to 7 Business days.